Changing top level tag in a hierrarchy

lintujuh

I decided to restructure one branch in Events and create sub-tags. I moved all items from the root to one created branch and added items into another branch. Then I noticed that the top-level name was no longer correct and I renamed it. The change was only reflected in the database, but not written into the items.

-Juha

The change was only reflected in the database, but not written into the items.

This confirms my observations: Most times, when I rename a tag, they changes are correctly synchronized into the files' metadata. However, many times I detect some mismatch later and realize it was caused by a tag rename, which affected many pictures. The nasty part: I cannot reproduce it. When I setup a test case, it always works fine sorry2.gif

Do you remember, has it been random also for the top level tags in hierarchical tags? Or could that be the root cause? I have only noticed this single instance.

I don't believe, it is related to the hierarchy, but happens rather randomly. Possibly, when a single rename causes many images to be updated. But since I cannot really reproduce it, this is all guessing.

Do you remember, has it been random also for the top level tags in hierarchical tags? Or could that be the root cause?

Hi Juha, you are right and it is reproducible! Whenever you rename any upper level of the event tag (either root or below), the sync process does not write the correct tags to the files. However, if you perform an Item->Actions->Write Tags to file, it does.

Not only renaming a higher level causes this problem. When you insert a new level, it will not be reflected in the files' metadata. My test case was:

Silvester-Essen|Dessert|Pfirsich

I changed it to:

Silvester-Essen|2018-19|Dessert|Pfirsich

and again sync did not write it into the files. But when I change now only the lowest level, the complete hierarchy is written correctly and 'XMP:Event' contains now:

'Silvester-Essen|2018-19|Dessert|flambierte Pfirsiche'

For now, I only tested this with the event tag, but I'll have a look at other single and multi value tags too.

As I was guessing, the Client and Project tags behave similar to Event: Any changes in the higher levels of the hierarchy are not written to the files' metadata. This can be renaming a tag or move with drag and drop to a different level. As soon as you "touch" the lowest level by renaming or moving it, the complete hierarchy is written correctly. It is always written correctly, if you an Item->Actions->Write Tags to file, it works fine.

I also tested the same with Collections, Place and Keywords without seeing any problem.

And btw., we still have the long ago reported problem, if the time stamp ends with 00 seconds and synchronization takes place, EXIF:DateTimeOriginal is corrupted, i.e spaces after the last colon instead of 00 for the seconds. Again this can be corrected by performing an Item->Actions->Write Tags to file.