Issue Renaming Files During Import

Mardon

I often use my camera (Canon 1D Mark IV) to create a .WAV audio file that describes the corresponding .CR2 RAW image (same file name except for the file extension). When I import these files into Daminion, I use Daminion’s features to (1) convert the images to .DNG files, (2) create a new folder and place the files there, and (3) rename the files by adding a date string to the beginning of the filenames. Here are the strings that I use to create the folders and rename the files:

“Create Sub-Foldersâ€

%yyyy\%yyyy%mm%dd\DNG

“Rename Filesâ€

%yyyy%mm%dd%basename.%ext

This works flawlessly for the image files. The problem is that when Daminion renames the .WAV files and places them in folders, it uses the current date instead of the file creation date. (See attached image.) If I don’t process the files on the date they were photographed, this results in the .WAV files being put in the wrong folder and getting separated from the image files. I have to manually move the .WAV files to get them back where they belong.

This is a long-standing issue but I have never reported it before. Any chance of getting it fixed? Thanks, Mardon

post-1142-0-63334100-1535291534_thumb.jpg

Hi Mardon,

could you please tell me where the creation Datetime for your.wav file is stored? Can you please check its metadata via Actions > show all metadata?

I tried to reproduce the behavior: downloaded a sample .wav > changed the creation datetime because it didn't exist in file's matadata > wrote tags to file > creation datetime was written to XMP section of metadata > reimported the file and renamed it using your template > the file name changed to 20110514123.wav where 2011-05-14 is my modified creation datetime.

so Daminion picks up Creation DT from XMP (XMP:Date Created, XMP:DateTimeOriginal), I'd like to know from where it doesn't.

Kind regards,

Daria

Hi Mardon,

could you please tell me where the creation Datetime for your.wav file is stored? Can you please check its metadata via Actions > show all metadata?

I tried to reproduce the behavior: downloaded a sample .wav > changed the creation datetime because it didn't exist in file's matadata > wrote tags to file > creation datetime was written to XMP section of metadata > reimported the file and renamed it using your template > the file name changed to 20110514123.wav where 2011-05-14 is my modified creation datetime.

so Daminion picks up Creation DT from XMP (XMP:Date Created, XMP:DateTimeOriginal), I'd like to know from where it doesn't.

Kind regards,

Daria

I've attached ExifTool output for two of the WAV files that got renamed to the incorrect date. I am not sure why there is no EXIF data shown for one of the files. Do these screen grabs provide you with what you need??

Thanks for checking it out. Mardon

post-1142-0-53213300-1535398579_thumb.jpg

post-1142-0-36046200-1535398588_thumb.jpg

I've attached ExifTool output for two of the WAV files that got renamed to the incorrect date. I am not sure why there is no EXIF data shown for one of the files. Do these screen grabs provide you with what you need??

Thanks for checking it out. Mardon

Hi Mardon,

yes, thank you. This explains why Daminion picked up the file's data as created in the system. There is no other entry for Creation DateTime and in such a case Daminion picks up the date from FILE info. Yet it's strange that Daminion did not pick up the correct date. I will check it out

I'd recommend you for now to add the wav file in Daminion, set up the date in the Properties panel and then use Edit > Batch rename (Move) options to rename and move your files.

Kind regards,

Daria