How to move files across volumes?

cincytriguy

I have a new NAS and I need to move all the files in my Daminion Server catalog from the old NAS to the new one. For context, I have a about 100,000 files and hundreds of folders. Daminion doesn't let me move or cut/paste folders across volumes.

I found a thread here from 2014 discussing this. It's been almost 4 years. Have any new options been implemented that could make this process easier? Any recommendations for how to go about it?

Hi,

I hope you don't have too many top level folders. My suggestion is that you use Windows resource manager or similar tool to copy your folders from the old NAS to the new one. Then in Daminion you can relink the top folders to point to your new NAS.

Juha

Hi,

I hope you don't have too many top level folders. My suggestion is that you use Windows resource manager or similar tool to copy your folders from the old NAS to the new one. Then in Daminion you can relink the top folders to point to your new NAS.

Juha

Ugh. I have about 400 top level folders.

That's quite a few.

Can you swap the NASes? If you give your new NAS the same IP address that the old one has and duplicate your folder structure to the new one. That way you are "faking" Daminion not to see the change.

Juha

No. Daminion is pointing at the UNC path of the existing NAS, not the IP address. I can't give the new NAS the same name as the existing NAS because obviously 2 devices on the same network can't have the same name. In addition it wouldn't make sense from a naming standard perspective and there are too many other non-Daminion related files on the existing NAS that would be negatively impacted.

It looks like I'm stuck re-lilnking about 400 folders. :( I'm surprised this limitation of not being able to move across volumes exists.