AVI video files are corrupted after some field values are entered in Daminion

afatac

Daminion version 5.0 (1582)

Windows 10

Recently, I discovered that many of my AVI videos cannot be played in Daminion (Windows 10 default player)

post-1744-0-90565400-1495774434_thumb.png

I retrieved my backup copies from DVD and found that the videos can be played. Something must have gone wrong after importing the video files to Daminion.

I imported an original AVI file to Daminion again and it can be played without problem.

post-1744-0-50648800-1495775036_thumb.png

Then I entered a value in Country field.

post-1744-0-86982500-1495775405_thumb.png

Now, the AVI video cannot be played again.

I will get the same problem if I enter a value in Creation Datetime

post-1744-0-18214700-1495775536_thumb.png

This problem only happens to my AVI videos. The rest of the video files e.g. MP4, MOV are OK.

Add video format support option is not enabled in Preferences.

post-1744-0-74085400-1495775923_thumb.png

Two samples of the original and corrupted AVI video files can be downloaded from the link for your investigation.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoCaZ9avFgKUgifIKFWV9jRTWHj2

Hi Uwe,

Thanks for testing, but what exactly have you done?

Did you import the original video to Daminion, change and save e.g. Creation Datetime? Are you able to play the video after that?

What video player did you use to play the corrupted video file? For me, the corrupted video file cannot be played in Films & TV app, Windows Media Play and Media Player Classic (MPC). It can only be played in VLC player so far. The original video file can be played in all the above players.

Hello afatac,

I imported both of your files (auto-import function) and started the player by double click in the thumbnail window of Daminion. I used your AVI files "as they are" and didn't change anything in Daminion after the import. I use the VLC player. This is my default player for videos and AIMP for audio files.

Then I changed the Creation DateTime of both items and entered a State tag in the corrupted AVI and a Country tag to the original item. No problem to start the videos by the VLC player. Also the preferences didn't have any impact on the play function.

Regards, Uwe

PS. The default player of Windows doesn't work with the AVI files in my system. Maybe the is a missing codec but I've nerver tested it before with the Windows player. That means it's a problem of Window not of Daminion.

Update: you are right. calling the windows player for both of your files before the manipulation in Daminion: ok for the original file, not ok for the corrupted file. After changes made by Daminion: not ok for both files.

It seems to be a problem of Daminion writing the XMP tags.

• 3 months later...

Hi Daminion support,

I have updated my installation to the latest version 5.0.1682. However, the problem is still there.

After entering the values in Creation Datetime, Event, Keywords and saved, the AVI video is corrupted immediately.

Can this issue be given priority to be fixed? It is critical! The damage caused to the AVI video is permanent!

Many users are probably still not aware and continue to import and tag their AVI videos.

• Upvote 1