Keywords lost in catalog, now have a big mess

Greg

I had a minor issue that turned into destroying weeks of work on my catalog. I tried to move a folder and somehow it failed and wasn't recognized. I then used add files to import it back in, which worked. That destroyed a complete category of keywords, a major disaster. I tried rescan, but killed it because that was taking forever. To try to recover the missing keyword tree I then ran read tags overnight on all files. It partially worked, but the keywords from some images aren't recognized in the catalog. I can go to properties see a keyword, then try to use the read in tags, but the missing keyword doesn't show up in the catalog. The keywords show up in the xmp information in properties, but the keywords in the database won't show keyword.

How do I force the catalog to recognize the xmp sidecar information, as a priority over whatever is in the file and catalog? Supposedly the catalog had been previously fully synchronized, as it previously ran for almost a week to synchronize, but it appears the file, xmp and catalog are different.

I am about to loose weeks of work. It really isn't clear to me when and if xmp sidecar files take priority over the image file and catalog. At this point the xmp sidecar file info is correct as far as I can tell, but the catalog and the file tags are not up to date.

If I create a new catalog will Daminion read in the xmp file information and result in a correct catalog? This would probably take a week to fully synchronize again.

Note the speed issue is primarily due to the NAS configuration.

Hi Greg,

Could you please first check if the option "Mark imported tags as unapproved" is activated (Admin panel > Preferences > Reading metadata).

The second question is: were those xmp sidecar files created by Daminion?

Daria

Mark imported tags as unapproved is not checked.

I believe most of the sidecar files were created by Daminion, though some existed prior to Daminion. Files created earlier were by mostly likely by Lightroom, though others could have been created when running trials on other software prior to Daminion.

Mark imported tags as unapproved is not checked.

I believe most of the sidecar files were created by Daminion, though some existed prior to Daminion. Files created earlier were by mostly likely by Lightroom, though others could have been created when running trials on other software prior to Daminion.

Greg,

xmp files are sidecars to what file formats? Videos and RAW files?

Daria

Greg,

xmp files are sidecars to what file formats? Videos and RAW files?

Daria

I found out what happened to the keyword branches that I thought were missing. It appears some of them were scrambled under other branches in the tree. I have no idea how this happened. The changes were actually propagated into the file metadata. I should be able to just move the branches back where they belong.