Thumbnail view refresh issue

Paul Barrett

I am batch renaming files

I select a folder and display all the files. There are more files than fit on screen.

On the thumbnail view I do Ctrl+A to select all

I run the batch rename

The thumbnails visible on page 1 rename

The rest don't. First batch round i selected the ones that hadn't been renamed and ran the process again, thinking that I had not selected them all correctly

Then it happened again and I knew I had selected them all.

My suspicions were aroused so I paged down to the ones that had not been renamed and did a screen refresh.

Bingo! The revised names appeared.

So it appears there is a screen refresh issue when batch rename is used. BAD news. I will now have to restore the images from backup an start over (or manually edit the names of a lot of files)

We seem to have seen an awful lot of issues with screen refresh lately. Just saying.

Update:

This refresh issue is not just isolated to the batch rename function.

I decided that I would fix the incorrect file names manually

I stepped through the thumbnails updating them without any problems until I got to the last one in a folder. That image was only partially visible on screen but I was able to click on the top of it, press F2, edit the filename and save it.

If you refer to the image below you can see that at A, the filename has been changed to remove the duplicated values from the front end.

However, when I scrolled down to reveal the rest of the image, the filename displayed there was still the old one. (B)

post-3427-0-40975600-1487786216_thumb.png

So it looks as if the problem is more widespread than I first reported.

Over to you Daria?

- Paul

Hello Paul,

I do confirm the refresh issue and will register it with a higher priority. Besides, we do need an option "Apply to all (number of files)\ Apply to selected (number of files on the page)". I usually display 200 items per page and it would drive me crazy if I had to batch rename files on every page separately.

However, Paul, you've must have run 2 different commands. Because when you run the same rename command on an already renamed item, you get an error "File already exists" and the name doesn't get duplicate.

Unfortunately, I cannot get your Update. The image was last in the folder, but not the last one on the screen? Anyway, I don't any issues with the view refresh when renaming only one item. I've tested it just now on 20+ items imported by network paths, the view refreshed automatically.

Regards,

Daria

Hello Paul,

I do confirm the refresh issue and will register it with a higher priority. Besides, we do need an option "Apply to all (number of files)\ Apply to selected (number of files on the page)". I usually display 200 items per page and it would drive me crazy if I had to batch rename files on every page separately.

Thanks

However, Paul, you've must have run 2 different commands. Because when you run the same rename command on an already renamed item, you get an error "File already exists" and the name doesn't get duplicate.

Yes i did run two commands. And the files that had been updated but were not SHOWN as updated, had the same timestamp prefixed again

Unfortunately, I cannot get your Update. The image was last in the folder, but not the last one on the screen? Anyway, I don't any issues with the view refresh when renaming only one item. I've tested it just now on 20+ items imported by network paths, the view refreshed automatically.

Er... no, it was the same file. I think, but I have renamed them all now so it's hard to recreate. I thought it was the same file without a refresh of the thumbnail?

Paul