How long for auto-scan to kick in?

Paul Barrett

I have file watch / auto rescan set up on a NAS drive. At least I think I do.

I deleted a file on the NAS drive about 10 minutes ago but the Daminion folder view is still showing the old file count and the thumbnail is also still visible.

I am probably missing something obvious.

- Service is running

- Folder is set to auto scan

What else do I need to do please? Is there a polling interval I need to set?

Regards

- Paul

Hello Paul,

yes, there are the settings: Menu->Catalog->Auto-Rescan Settings...

Daminion_Auto_rescan_settings.jpg

BUT there is no automatic refresh when the intervall is over and the update has been finished in the background. One has to refresh the Folder Panel and the Browser Window to get the current status.

Regards, Uwe

Hello Paul,

yes, there are the settings: Menu->Catalog->Auto-Rescan Settings...

post-846-0-73746400-1483199179_thumb.jpg

BUT there is no automatic refresh when the intervall is over and the update has been finished in the background. One has to refresh the Folder Panel and the Browser Window to get the current status.

Regards, Uwe

Hi Uwe

I have that setting in place (actually it is set 'reflect changes immediately.) I have refreshed the folder panel. I am not using the web server so no browser to refresh.

It's 25 minutes now and nothing happening! blush.gif

Any more ideas please?

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

you don't have to use the option:"'reflect changes immediately". This only works for discs controlled by Windows (internal discs). Your NAS is not controlled by Windows and you have to set the option shown in the screenshot. These are my default settings because also my files are on a NAS and not on an internal disc.

Regards, Uwe

Hi Paul,

you don't have to use the option:"'reflect changes immediately". This only works for discs controlled by Windows (internal discs). Your NAS is not controlled by Windows and you have to set the option shown in the screenshot. These are my default settings because also my files are on a NAS and not on an internal disc.

Regards, Uwe

OK,got that.I have changed the setting.Thanks.It's working now

On a related note. at what folder level do you auto scan? I am tempted to set it the root of my photo folders because they are arranged by year going back to 1900 and I am always adding images at any level.

And what's a sensible interval on a library of 14,000 images please?

Regards

Paul

Hello Paul,

I set this option at the moment for 2 folders:

The folder I import new files. I copy the new files from the CF card or any other source to this folder by TotalCommander. In this folder I assign the tags, remove unsharp photos etc. If everything in done I move the items by drag and drop or by batch rename to the destination folder. I also use the Import function of Daminion to import, rename, assign tag presets but this is another workflow.

The other folder is currently used to store all photos I insert to a photobook i'm currently working on. I open the original RAW photo in Photoshop, do all adjustments and save the final photo as TIF in this folder. Later in Adobe Indesign I import them in the photobook.

I think one should not set this option on the level of the root folder because of the system load to scan all folders on the NAS if something happened.

Regards, Uwe

Hello Paul,

I set this option at the moment for 2 folders:

The folder I import new files. I copy the new files from the CF card or any other source to this folder by TotalCommander. In this folder I assign the tags, remove unsharp photos etc. If everything in done I move the items by drag and drop or by batch rename to the destination folder. I also use the Import function of Daminion to import, rename, assign tag presets but this is another workflow.

The other folder is currently used to store all photos I insert to a photobook i'm currently working on. I open the original RAW photo in Photoshop, do all adjustments and save the final photo as TIF in this folder. Later in Adobe Indesign I import them in the photobook.

I think one should not set this option on the level of the root folder because of the system load to scan all folders on the NAS if something happened.

Regards, Uwe

I do something similar.

Camera photos are imported to my local hard disc for editing and then I add them to the Catalog using the Add Files function and assign them to folders based on date.- all controlled by Add Files

Scans are saved locally, edited then copied to dedicated folder where I tag them, then drag and drop to a dated folder

So, all that happens without the need to rescan anything.

My issue is that any image could be deleted from the NAS using its native photo publishing app. And this could be at any folder level. Maybe I should forget about auto scans and just make a diary note every 1st of the month to manually rescan all folders.

My issue is that any image could be deleted from the NAS using its native photo publishing app. And this could be at any folder level. Maybe I should forget about auto scans and just make a diary note every 1st of the month to manually rescan all folders.

Yes this is the problem. One should not do something regarding objects managed by Damionion (or anyother databased software) with other software.

If your files are on an internals discs and controlled by Windows, you can use the option "reflect changes immediately". In this case Windows generates an event if something happend with a file, Daminion handles this event and e.g. removes the file from the catalog etc.

Regards, Uwe

Yes this is the problem. One should not do something regarding objects managed by Damionion (or anyother databased software) with other software.

If your files are on an internals discs and controlled by Windows, you can use the option "reflect changes immediately". In this case Windows generates an event if something happend with a file, Daminion handles this event and e.g. removes the file from the catalog etc.

Regards, Uwe

Yep. I get that and agree. Unfortunately, named user access to the photo library via the NAS's web app includes the ability to delete files. I can be disciplined about not deleting in the web app, but I can't discipline casual users.

- Paul