Moving Pictures away from *dmc File

myFotoDATA

Hi from Vienna

First I created a new Catalogue. The I imported several pictures by copying the files to a user defined directory. I created the tags and gave them to the pictures - everything is fine!

By the way - I have just moved to 5 - I didn't try the following workflow in 4 - I'm quite new to the Software!

The structure of my directory is the following:

Directory with pictures (organised in Sub Directories)

*.cr2

*.xmp

in the Root:

*.dmc File

*_backup###.dm~ Files

Now my question: Is it be possible to move the folder with the pictures to an external HDD? I just moved the folder to the HDD and daminion didn't fid the pictures - as expected!

So I used the tool

"reconnect Folder" from RB in the folder to show to the new place of the folder

But it did not work!

Do I make a mistake? Is this workflow not possible?

I Know: It is possible to keep the pictures on an external HDD during import. On the other side It is possible to copy the pictures to a user defined Folder during import.

But I would like to realize the following: selected Pictures on an external HDD, and *.dmc File on the HDD in the PC!

Idea: All my RAW pictures are kept (as they come from my cameras) on an external HDD.

Then I import the pictures, I want to have, into daminion to get the tags / information needed, there. During this "import process" the selected pictures only can be copied to another HDD! (I think, this should work for a "virgin" database!)

Is it possible to devide am existing structure into two "places"! As mentioned before?

Is it necessary to restart work giving information to my pictures ?

Thank You for help

Now my question: Is it be possible to move the folder with the pictures to an external HDD? I just moved the folder to the HDD and daminion didn't fid the pictures - as expected!

So I used the tool

"reconnect Folder" from RB in the folder to show to the new place of the folder

But it did not work!

Do I make a mistake? Is this workflow not possible?

Hello lupus,

yes, it's possible to move the folders of the photos to another place (internal, external).

To connect the catalog items with the moved files: Folder Tags Panel->select the folder->right click->Relink Folder...

But I would like to realize the following: selected Pictures on an external HDD, and *.dmc File on the HDD in the PC!

Idea: All my RAW pictures are kept (as they come from my cameras) on an external HDD.

Then I import the pictures, I want to have, into daminion to get the tags / information needed, there. During this "import process" the selected pictures only can be copied to another HDD! (I think, this should work for a "virgin" database!)

Is it possible to devide am existing structure into two "places"! As mentioned before?

Is it necessary to restart work giving information to my pictures ?

In the Import Dialog Window you can select the files that you want to import from the source folder. Additionally you can customize what should happen in the the process: define the destination folder, rename function, assign tags by the Tag Presets, convert RAW to DNG...

This works in any case independent on a "virgin" database or not.

Regards, Uwe