Reflect the changes done with raw converters (Capture One, Lightroom, etc.)

lorenz

Hello to all,

I guess this is an old question but I didn't find any solution which is working for me. I'm interested if there is a solution I didn't see. Or in the way you are dealing with the problem.

I edit my images with Capture One (but the question is valid for all raw converters). I want so see the edited images in Daminion (thumbnail and viewer). I know that each raw converter has its own enginge and I know that Daminion can't include these engines and can't apply the changes done with Capture One to the raws.

BUT - is there a workaround? Of course, I could export the images as jpg and import these in Daminion. But this is a not convinient workflow for me.

My idea is that Daminion doesn't read the raws but only the embedded jpg preview images. So Capture One should replace the embedded preview image of the raw file after editing. And in Daminion I just have to update the thumbnail to see the edited preview image. This is not working right now and my knowledge about raw files is not big enough to see if this really could be a solution - or if its just a dream. ;-)

How are you dealing with this? Is there maybe another workaround I missed?

Thank you for your answers!

Lorenz

Hi,

have you tried "Update thumbnails" (ctrl-B)? If your raw editor updates the thumbnail this should update your catalog.

There are also raw editors that create separate sidecar files so you can have multiple versions of the same raw. Then the thumbnail in the raw is no longer relevant.

Juha

Hi Juha,

I've thought that this is the way how it works - however, it doesn't.

Are there some settings which could prevent Daminion from using the embedded jpges and instead rendering own ones (I've pressed Strg+B many times)? For instance the option to speed up the preview for large files under settings (which is checked in my installation)? I also have to mention that I'm using the standalone version of Daminion.

Or maybe Capture One doesn't update the preview image?

Thank you for your help!

Lorenz

I am not a professional and do not shoot a large volume so YMMV. I had to address this issue a while back when transitioning( VNX > NX2 > Daminion) from Nikon's NX2 to Capture One. When I was using NX2 I would always duplicate the original image (*_v00) before editing, and then save the edited version as a new NEF file(*_v01) in the same directory. A rescan with Daminion would bring in the edited image and since Daminion reads the embedded jpeg and metadata the edited version would appear along with the original. Both Nikon and Daminion metadate was written to the NEF.

When I started to use C1P I had to modify my workflow a little as C1P and Adobe (and now NXD) take the position to not modify the image file and the the edit and metadata information is contained in sidecar files, not readable by other editing programs.

I set up a C1P(session mode only) output process to generate a 80% quality jpeg stored in the original folder and before editing I create another variant. I have also set up the output process to append the process number to the file name (*_C1Px - where x is the variant number) to identify C1P edited images and the variant,similar as I did with NX2. I do this so I have a image file with an embedded jpeg for Daminion to view. I usually have both Daminion and C1P open and have assigned my Wacom tablet button to rescan the selected folder. The edited image is imported via a rescan and can be displayed alongside the original. This seems to work OK but C1p follows Adobe in rating, label and metadata so I only modify metadata within Daminion, which writes it to the jpeg file but of course C1P ignores the Daminion generated metadata (no sidecar file).

I am considering migrating to fast raw viewer or C1P (currently using an View NX2 supported D7100) as my initial culling/rating program but I am not sure how to smoothly change to an Adobe centric metadata workflow, so I am leaving it as is for now, any feedback and tips on workflow combining Daminion and C1P is appreciated.

Bob

When I started to use C1P I had to modify my workflow a little as C1P and Adobe (and now NXD) take the position to not modify the image file and the the edit and metadata information is contained in sidecar files, not readable by other editing programs.

Thank you for clarifying this! And now I see that the thumbnails are saved as .cot files. I think, there will be no chance that Daminion will ever read these files. :-( Or?

I set up a C1P(session mode only) output process to generate a 80% quality jpeg stored in the original folder and before editing I create another variant. I have also set up the output process to append the process number to the file name (*_C1Px - where x is the variant number) to identify C1P edited images and the variant,similar as I did with NX2. I do this so I have a image file with an embedded jpeg for Daminion to view. I usually have both Daminion and C1P open and have assigned my Wacom tablet button to rescan the selected folder. The edited image is imported via a rescan and can be displayed alongside the original. This seems to work OK but C1p follows Adobe in rating, label and metadata so I only modify metadata within Daminion, which writes it to the jpeg file but of course C1P ignores the Daminion generated metadata (no sidecar file).

This sounds like a decent workflow, but I think I didn't get it completely. At the end you create a jpg of the edited image and import this one in Daminion? I think this is the only solution so far, but it doesn't make me really happy.

Photo Supreme from IDimager can reflect at least the basic changes done in Capture One. Is there any chance that Daminion will also do this in future?

I've also tried Media Pro from PhaseOne which shows the changes of C1 but this software is outdated and has a terrible interface. And the catalog function of C1 is extremly slow with many files and far away from being as useful as Daminion.

I am considering migrating to fast raw viewer or C1P

Have you also tried fastpictureviewer? It's very fast! :-)

Thanks for the heads up on fastpictureviewer, I had it bookmarked but have not pursued it. I did try the fast raw viewer when I first moved to C1P but preferred to keep my non optimum workflow until I purchase a camera not recognized by View NX2.

You are right about Daminion needing an embedded jpeg to view. No way around it that I know of.