Version control

dimbulb

As a newb to Daminion, I liked the idea of version control of images and have played a bit with the free stand-alone version.

As things are right now for me, some of the image files will need to be renamed and possibly copied to another directory later.

I understand that if a file is copied, then, if i want the moved file to be handled by Daminion, I will have to add it after it has been copied.

But, is there any way for Daminion to keep a history of renaming a file - ie a version control for that sort of operation?

A second related, question.

Is there any way to prune the revision history as it is kept now?

I quite realize that these history files are large and after some backup, it would be nice to trim the overall data tree size.

Right now it seems that if one of the 'history files is deleted, Daminion does not even seem to notice.

TIA

Hello dimbulb!

1. Unfortunately, you can't track the rename history using Version control. This fucntion relates to the visual content of the image only. And I'm afraid I can't recommend you any workaround.

If you copy your file in Windows Explorer, move it to another destination, rename it there and import it again to Daminion, this results in duplicated files which is better to be avoided when managing your digital archive. Why is it so important to track the original names of the files?

2. Sorry, there is no way to prune the revision history in current Daminion version.

Daria

1. Unfortunately, you can't track the rename history using Version control. This fucntion relates to the visual content of the image only. And I'm afraid I can't recommend you any workaround.

If you copy your file in Windows Explorer, move it to another destination, rename it there and import it again to Daminion, this results in duplicated files which is better to be avoided when managing your digital archive. Why is it so important to track the original names of the files?

Being new to Daminion, I am still trying to work out a work flow for myself, so that I can keep track of the origin of my data, which is particularly important, in case I have to backtrack, hence the emphasis on version control.

My experiments show, that each checkout leaves a new copy of the full file in the history, even changes in metadata only

2 possible scenarios for which keeping track of file name changes would be beneficial.

1) Instead of adding metadata, someone added a fair bit of identifying information to some of the file names; these very long file names now pose a problem, especially when backing up to CD/DVDs.

2) when getting copies of microfilm frames, the files are usually numbered sequentially

Keeping track of the 'origin' of the current file would be helpful.

One way would be to add such information to the metadata, but then I see problems with the current algorithm Daminion seems to use, using only image data for duplicate comparison.

Changing the metadata seems to create both 'duplicates', as well as a sequence of 'versions'.

2. Sorry, there is no way to prune the revision history in current Daminion version.

I suppose then after a backup I have to delete some of the history and start over?

Because I would like to retain as much of the original scan resolution with the files I am working with, they are rather large (MBs of PNG files - possibly I will have to investigate lossless jpegs)

Keeping too many older versions will gradually increase the backup requirement significantly, because we don't just record differences.

Once I have done a backup, I would like to trim the history of say the last 2 - ? versions to keep things manageable both in current size of my data as well as the ability to go back if I really need to.

I hope my explanation is helpful?

would you consider to share you feature request here? https://daminion.uservoice.com/forums/272481-general

We usually add new features to Daminion based on our users feedbacks and votes for the certain feature and we need to know how much the abilities to prune the revision history and track the file name changes are required.

Daria