Various minor bugs in v4.5

curio77

Hello,

I've played around with Daminion a bit more extensively these past days and have become rather fond if it, intending to switch my photo management over to it.

However, I've also encountered a number of (minor) bugs I'd like to post in case they have not been reported by others yet. This is with the latest version (v4.5) and Windows 10 64-bit.

2. Tags preset not applied on import: Whenever I imported images (without copying), my (default) preset (specifying copyright etc.) did not get applied despite the option having been selected.

3. Tags preset "Apply" button remains grayed-out on immediate multiple-selection: When performing a search and then selecting all images via [Ctrl]-[A], the Tags preset "Apply" button remains grayed out. In order to be able to apply the preset to the selection, I first need to select an individual item (which enables the button) and then press [Ctrl]-[A].

4. Application of tags to entire list (> page size) does not work: When applying changed tags to a full selection of the images list with additional pages available, a dialog pops up whether to apply the changes to only the selection or the entire list of results (spanning multiple pages). No matter which option I select, the changes always get applied only to the current page's images.

5. Properties panel remaining unpopulated despite images being selected: Throughout some sessions, the Properties panel will remain empty (claiming that now images are selected) despite images having been selected, no matter what. The only workaround is to restart the application, and often it requires multiple restarts until things work as expected.

6. Synonyms not showing in Categories tree: While synonyms are shown in the Keywords tree, they are not shown in the Categories tree.

7. Duplication of synonyms: Daminion automatically creates lower-case ASCII versions of keyword synonyms. It even does that for simply capitalized synonyms, the reasoning behind which I don't understand. In some circumstances (keywords import?) the auto-added synonym variants get duplicated, resulting in, e.g., a list ["Foo", "foo", "foo"] for the originally entered synonym "Foo", which is unnecessary clutter. Please fix the duplication and add an option suppressing the auto-adding of lower-case ASCII variants. Once you're at it, why not remove the confirmation dialog for deleting a synonym as the synonyms dialog has the option to abort (in case of errors) anyway? This confirmation makes manual clean-up unnecessarily bothersome.

8. Catalog Tags panel at end of list on application restart: Not a bug per se but vexing nonetheless —- when the application is restarted, the Catalog Tags panel is scrolled to its very end. I'd much prefer it to start at the previous position, or at the very least, with all sub-sections collapsed. End-of-list, in contrast, is never where I'd want to interact with it from the start, meaning I need to scroll around at every start of a session.

Cheers,

Marco

Hello Marco,

welcome to the forum. Just a question: which version did you use: The Standalone or the Server? Is is possible for you to check it with the current unoffical build 1471 once more?

Regards, Uwe

welcome to the forum. Just a question: which version did you use: The Standalone or the Server? Is is possible for you to check it with the current unoffical build 1471 once more?

Thank you! I used the stand-alone version. I'll check with the latest pre-v4.6 build tonight if I can make time for it.

1. Actually I can't reproduce. (Need more information).

2. Fixed.

3. Fixed.

4. Actually I can't reproduce. (Need more information).

5. Is the checkbox "Display synonyms" checked in the popup menu under Categories root?

6. This is how synonyms works at Daminion. By multiple user requests.

7. Fixed.

6. Daminion adds lower case version of your synonyms as a workaround for SQLite that has case-sensitive search.

You can also consider switching to Daminion server version without such behavior, and that is up to 4-5 times faster when importing and has a web-client.

OK, I've played around with the latest v4.6 build (#1471). Here's about the unfixed issues as per Alexey's response (thanks!):

• 1. Tags preset not applied on import: Works for me now, so fixed, perhaps unknowingly, perhaps there were some special circumstances when I initially encountered the issue with v4.5.
  • 4. Properties panel remaining unpopulated despite images being selected: Haven't managed to trigger that with the new build either yet (maybe it's also been fixed, fingers crossed!). The issue was, however, not reliably reproducible with v4.5, either. When it happened, it manifested itself like this: Application gets started, I select an image, the Properties panel remains empty (noting that no files are selected). Nothing I did fixed this during the session, had to restart the application, sometimes repeatedly. Keeping an eye on this and reporting back if I encounter it again; however, without any clear indication as to what exactly it is triggered by, it'll be hard to fix. I'd have suspected some sort of race condition.
  • 5. Synonyms not showing in Categories tree: You got me there, explicitly enabling them did it. I probably looked for the option by right-clicking the root, but it only comes up clicking any item within the tree.

As for 6. Duplication of synonyms... I get the SQLite reasoning and won't argue with this. But wouldn't it be possible to hide this implementation-related detail from the user (and reduce UX clutter) by making those ASCII aliases implicit, maintaining them internally but not showing them?

Also, there's still the matter of the synonyms duplication issue which I could replicate with the latest build. Importing a tags file like this:

Keywords
   Foo
       {Bar}
       {bar}

will result in "Foo" getting this list of synonyms in Daminion: "Bar", "bar", "bar". It probably happens because lowercase "bar" is added once as an explicit item as per the file and once as a synonym for "Bar", but as there can't possibly be a reason for this being intentional, couldn't you just add a duplicates-filtering step or some duplicates-avoiding logic to the process of importing tags?

4. Properties panel remaining unpopulated despite images being selected: Had that again now with build #1478. Screenshot attached as proof. Having selected an image, the Properties panel on the right shouldn't remain empty and claim that no images are selected. Unfortunately, this cannot be reproduced reliably, and I keep assuming this is due to some race condition during application startup.

post-2910-0-71390600-1465750295_thumb.png

4. Properties panel remaining unpopulated despite images being selected: Had that again now with build #1478. Screenshot attached as proof. Having selected an image, the Properties panel on the right shouldn't remain empty and claim that no images are selected. Unfortunately, this cannot be reproduced reliably, and I keep assuming this is due to some race condition during application startup.

Actually, this happens more often than not, I often have to restart Daminion two times in a row until I get a working session. Is there a way to have the application create a verbose log of things going on (or failing to go on) in order to get to the bottom of this?