[1280] Work flow while working with keyboard (improvement)

kalain

Hi,

Here is some points which should be improved in order to have a better work flow through keyboard :

While browsing thumbnail from main window, you can display a full screen with 'Enter' key (Good)

1/ In full screen view :

- A short cut should be assigned to display/hide Properties panel.

May be : Ctrl + right to display Properties panel

Ctrl + left to hide Properties panel

2/ When full view is display, you have to hint twice 'Ctrl+D' to select editable field in properties panel.

(Only one 'Ctrl+D' should be enough ?)

3/ In properties panel, when editable field is reached (Keyword for example) you can search and assign keyword. (Ok, good) But didn't find how to go out from Properties panel with shortcut!!!

May be an 'Esc' key should focus on full view window, so like this :

- left and right keys are again available to browse previous or next item.

- another 'Esc' key, will return at thumbnail display.

Yep, with these key behaviours you can fully work with keyboard only.

This increase a bit more shortcut workflow with daminion

Regards

• Upvote 1

Same as Kalain, I would like to see more keyboard shortcuts in several places. Not sure though, if Ctrl right/Ctrl left is really intuitive for the properties panel, so I suggest:

Alt-Ctrl p = Properties

Alt-Ctrl c (or t) = catalog tags

Alt-Ctrl t (or r) = tray

For now, I use the combination alt-w (to select the menu option) and then c for "Catalog Tags"; p for "Properties", r for "Tray", m for "Map" ... etc.

However, most, if not all of the shortcuts (including Ctl+D) work sometimes and do not at other times. So far, I was not able to identify any condition when it does or does not work.

Reg Kalain's last question "But didn't find out to go out from Properties panel with shortcut":

Ctrl+S saves the changes and depending on the selection in the small dialog at the bottom, it either proceeds to the next item or stays on the same one. At this point, I would assume Ctrl+D would close the properties panel, but it does not. Instead, it always opens the People Tag for input (Why?).

Alt-W + P does close the properties panel, but it leaves a free space on the right which cannot be used by any other panel.

Just a basic remind :

In this case Ctrl+D will jump into People Tag

and this one will jump to Description tag

Thanks Kalain, but I don't don't understand the difference of those two cases. For me, Ctrl+D always jumps into the people tag and if the cursor is already there, nothing happens as result of Ctrl+D.

Thanks Kalain, but I don't don't understand the difference of those two cases. For me, Ctrl+D always jumps into the people tag and if the cursor is already there, nothing happens as result of Ctrl+D.

Look at tag name, they are dashed underlined.

so Ctrl+D will always jump at preselected (dashed underlined) tag.

• Upvote 1

Do you mean a tag is preselected (keywords for example), then after adding keywords and saving, People tag is preselected automatically ? (dashed underlined)

It seems, until now, I did not understand correctly what happens, when a tag is preselected. I always changed several tags without ever clicking the title. So, no matter which tag(s) I changed, after saving and pressing Ctrl-D the people tag opens (seems to be the default). Just a result of ignoring the preselection.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the short suggestions!

I did not understand correctly what happens, when a tag is preselected. I always changed several tags without ever clicking the title.

Can you please record your actions by this small screen capture tool and send me it to support/at/daminion/dot/net

Like Alain said, Ctr + D must switch focus to a text field with underlined dashes in the Properties panel.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Registered. Thanks!

In fact, when properties panel is hidden, first Ctrl+D open properties panel (ok), then second Ctrl+D goes to undelined field. (Ok)

When properties panel is already opened, seems that first Ctrl+D is still used to open properties panel (but already opened) and then second Ctrl+D goes to underlined field.

So, when Properties panel is already openened, first Ctrl+D should focus on underlined field.

Pushing the discussion deeper, when properties panel is closed, why not to open it and then focus on underlined field at first Ctrl+ D ? (This would save one Ctrl+D ?)