Question About Nested Tags

tscott

We primarily use Collections to organize our photos. Most Collections consist of multiple nested sub tags. Yesterday, an employee accidentally deleted a parent tag and, of course, it cleared every tag under it... days worth of organizing gone in an instant!

When I loaded up Daminion to see for myself, there were about 1/4 of the images that still contained the sub tags, but were "orphaned", without the parent tag. Why would those images have retained the sub tags even after the parent tag was deleted?

More importantly, is there no safeguard at all against this kind of mistake? No "undo" function? Any possibility of reversing what just happened? This is kind of bad.

It's pity to hear this. If Auto-Sync option were enabled you can invoke Action > Read Tags from File command to restore them. Another option is restore from catalog backup.

You see the images with "orphaned" sub-tags because a tags with the same names might be assigned to the images but in the upper level. Just an idea how this might happen.

More importantly, is there no safeguard at all against this kind of mistake? No "undo" function? Any possibility of reversing what just happened? This is kind of bad.

As I told above there are two ways to revert this issue now: via Read Tags from File (if tags were synced with images) and via restoring backup (if you have it).

I'll discuss with my team whether there is a way to include the Undo feature into the closest roadmap.