server auto update

jacob

server software auto update  

4 members have voted

1. 1. is it important for you to have the server software be able to update itself?

• yes
    • no

For a business, its enough work just keeping IT running smoothly, but to have someone need to go to the daminion website, check to see if there is an update, then download it, install it, etc-- its less likely to happen. which means critical fixes and improvements might be missed.

We have an IT service provider, and asking them to check a website for updates, on top of their other regular monthly tasks is not practical.

It's much more common for applications to alert you when there is an udpate-- or at least have a link in a pulldown which checks and then handles the update.

As Daminion begins to solicit larger businesses, I would think this would be a feature that will be increasingly important.

Jacob, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

You will see a notification in your Daminion Clients when a new official build will be released. A warning icon will be displayed in your Daminion Server admin panel too that indicates about new Daminion version. Clicking on this icon (or to the build number) will run a web-browser on the Daminion's download page.

We also publish unofficial builds on our forum, but these are unstable builds and we don't notify about this versions. Only if you'll subscribe manually to this page.

this will be helpful. thanks

A warning icon will be displayed in your Daminion Server admin panel too that indicates about new Daminion version. Clicking on this icon (or to the build number) will run a web-browser on the Daminion's download page.

offical release are published inside the software. the one's for the forum are not for production use anyway

Rene, thanks I understand now. We actually haven't had the server software long enough for an official release to announce itself, so I was unaware of that feature. We are not using unofficial builds.

My concern was about longterm maintenance by IT staff, and this feature will be enough to flag the task.