1 000 000 + records and counting !!!

deanable

Hi Guys

I am interested to see if other users have pushed the limits of Daminion Server. We have recently gone over the 1 000 000 records mark and I have not experienced any issues with performance.

post-395-0-87987500-1429522248_thumb.jpg

Share your Daminion catalog size screenshot and let's see the winner!!!

• Upvote 1

Hey!

I have a catalog also handling more than 1M files.

I've had some performance issues in the past but that has improved over time with some tweaking and some improvements made by the Daminion team :good2:

I think what made the difference at some point was to separate database and thumbnail files in different drives, my current setup:

Windows 8.1 Pro

Core i7 3770S 3.1GHz

4 GB RAM

Kingston SSDNow V Series 128GB for OS and thumbnail files

Kingston SSDNow V300 Series SV300S37A 120G for Postgresql database files

A combination of Western Digital Green/Red drives for files

Dean, could you share what hardware are you using?

Regards!

post-97-0-14059600-1429707150_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

I am running

Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard

Intel Xeon CPU E3-1220 v3 @ 3.1GHz

16 GB RAM

on a 64bit machine

Assets are located on a NAS drive, but the thumbnails & PostreSQL files are stored on the same drive as the Daminion installation.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

#Dean

Is it a performance issue that you have the PostreSQL files stored on the same driver as Daminion installaition?

I have about 100.000 images - and lot of them in RAW whereas thousands of them is from my Nikon D800 - so files about 50MB each RAW.

I DO have some issues with thumbnails not being generated fast enough, even though i have a very fast machine.

The best performance can be archived when files are located on the same computer with the Daminion Server. So to eliminate low network bandwidth impact when generating thumbnails.

Please take into account that by default the "Accelerate Preview" option is turned On. And when this option is enabled the thumbnail generation will be slower but previewing RAW images is much faster.

We also plan to drastically increase import performance to 5.0 version.

• 2 weeks later...

My Daminion thumbnails have always been so slow that I get frustrated and walk away before getting much organizing/work done.

I'm just sick of it...

So, I'm planning to buy a Monster (i7 8 core, 64GB of RAM). Do I need to move the files locally to have them reasonable, or is NAS acceptable? Can I turn on some setting to have the thumbnails cached permanently to the database (on a local SATA or HD rather than have them built from across the network each time)?

(I do have some HUGE files too - 30GB PSB's... large PSDs too)

Thanks,

Russell

Thanks Murat.

I gather that means they can't be cached locally and they are built from the image each time, just before display? But, re-reading this thread, someone mentioned relocating the thumbnails... how do I do that?

Lastly, is there a suggested transfer speed for NO DELAY... Like 50MB/sec? or 100MB/sec? Does it need to be faster? Or, after thumbnails are made locally on a SSD, then NAS storage wouldn't matter as much?

Thanks,

Russell

I gather that means they can't be cached locally and they are built from the image each time, just before display? But, re-reading this thread, someone mentioned relocating the thumbnails... how do I do that?

Thumbnails are always cached locally. JPEG previews for large image formats can be cached locally in the latest Daminion versions (can be set via Acceelerate Preview option in the Daminion Server admin panel).

Lastly, is there a suggested transfer speed for NO DELAY... Like 50MB/sec? or 100MB/sec? Does it need to be faster? Or, after thumbnails are made locally on a SSD, then NAS storage wouldn't matter as much?

1Gbit network should be enough to improve the performance

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

hi we currently have 171,000 files at about 700GB?

dose content files size have any impact on the speed of daminion?

Hi Robert,

With a database with more than 1.5 million files Daminion Server/Client behaves pretty good. I personally recommend having separate drives (preferably solid state drives) for the database files and the thumbnail files (having your media in a different drive helps too).

Regards