Daminion Server Randomly Quits

tscott

When a client is connected to the server (installed on separate PC), the server service "randomly" quits after 15-30 minutes. I did some testing and it ran for a couple of hours with no client connections but after connecting the client, the server service stopped after about 20 minutes. The client wasn't being used at the time so I at least know it's not related to tagging, exporting, etc.

Perhaps related, once started, Daminion.Server.exe gradually increases memory usage from around 45MB initially to around 500MB - 800MB. It usually levels out eventually around 500MB but then responds extremely slowly and the client usually can't connect then.

Server PC is Windows 7, Core 2 Duo 3GHz, 2GB RAM.

I updated to 1194 and so far the service has continued to run without shutting down and memory usage has been better than before, using around 400-500MB. However, I just got a "System.OutOfMemoryException" error when clicking on a directory "tag" in the tag tree. Thumbnails are missing and the tag tree is replaced by a big red X.

NetCatalog.zip

Thanks for the info! Can you please restart the Daminion Server from the Admin panel.

Can you check what actions in the Daminion mainly lead to raising the memory (like importing files, searching, exporting, viewing images). If viewing images - what image formats?

Thanks!

post-1949-0-27377900-1427830332_thumb.png

Catalog contains mostly images along with a "few" other things like .psd, .indd, etc as you can see in the above image.

I haven't a chance to use it much today to reproduce the memory error but it could be that several of the .psd files are 500MB-2GB in size. I'm not certain but I think the last time it crashed I was assigning tags to several of these large files.

post-1949-0-07596600-1427834020_thumb.png

Even while working with these large files, the most I've seen Daminion server memory usage is at around 850MB.

Thanks for the detailed information. Can you please restart the Daminion Server and try to reproduce this memory issue by working with JPEGs only?

This helps us to determine whether this problem is specific to a certain file format.

I will try this today. This morning I tried to connect but it just says "Connecting to Server" for a bit and then:

"Error opening catalog

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at PicaJet.Daminion.ClientCommon.PicaJetEnginePresenter.ConnectingServerJob(Object sender, TimeLessJobEventArgs args) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\ClientCommon\Presenters\PicaJetEnginePresenter.cs:line 8011"

Daminion.Server.exe consuming just over 400MB of memory.

Restarted the server and it's working fine for the moment.

I've been experimenting with different file types.

.bmp, .gif, .jpeg, .png, .tiff, .doc, .docx and .indd are all working fine. Server memory usage stays between 35MB - 60MB at all times.

The biggest memory problem I've encountered comes when generating thumbnails for .pdf and .psd files in large quantities, whether during import or by manual refresh (ctrl+ B).

With a selection of 194 .pdf files ranging from 8KB to 19MB, forcing a thumbnail update pushes server memory usage to over 1.3GB. Once the update completes, memory remains at around 735MB until the server is restarted.

I had no problem doing this with 50 <1MB files or even 5 >500MB files even though memory usage is very similar during the actual process. For some reason, though, there are some conditions in which memory isn't being released.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a little update today. I reformatted my server PC and upgraded from 32-bit Windows 7 Pro to 64-bit. Reinstalled Daminion Server and recreated my catalog from scratch.

So far I haven't had any crashing/stopping problems like I'd had before. At one point the Daminion Server Admin screen showed server status as "Error: out of memory" with a red indicator but the server was still responding to the client normally without any trouble and status returned to "Running" on it's own after a few minutes without needing to be restarted.

I suppose it's possible that my previous problems were not so much Daminion but just a problem with the installation or maybe the OS. I will post back if other problems occur.