Cannot update an image (1091 => 1259)

lintujuh

I was editing an image with GIMP that I had in my catalogue (as jpeg). When I tried to save the modified image as jpeg, GIMP gave me "permission denied" error. When I stopped Daminion server, I could save the image. I had just recently restarted Daminion server due to full screen image view problems and only thing I had done with the client was to look in full screen some images (including the one I edited).

-Juha

Hi Murat!

I restarted my laptop and tried to reproduce the issue without success. I could save the image and display it full screen many times without any glitches. I'll continue to investigate the problem and inform you when I can reproduce it. I don't think you need to install GIMP yet.

-Juha

• 9 months later...

Hi!

Reopening the topic as I managed to reproduce it without any external programs (except exiftool) in version 1259.

For some images I have generated with GIMP

– not all tags are written into the file

– writing the tags into the file and reading the full metadata produces an error "#Warning: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\...\IMG.jpg' because it is being used by another process."

I haven't found a workarond to the first problem, I even tried to regenerate the tags with exiftool command

exiftool -exif:all= -tagsfromfile @ -all:all -unsafe bad.jpg

without any help.

For the second problem restarting the Daminion Server does the trick.

I have uploaded a video clip, one problematic image and the tags as CSV into my Dropbox.

Hi!

It looks like GIMP corrupts the XMP structure. When I deleted the XMP structure with exiftool (exiftool -xmp:all= image.jpg) I was able to write the tags in Daminion also into the file.

There was one caveat, the Paste Tags command didn't write the tags into the file, I had to issue Write Tags separately. I had copied the problematic image into my test catalog, and it had only a subset of the tags. Even after cleaning the XMP structure, Paste Tags didn't write the tags into the file, only updated the database.

Even if the metadata is corrupted and Daminion cannot update it, there should be a warning so that the user could manually try to correct the situation. Also when trying to update the tags, the file should not be left open.

-Juha