Impossible to read or write metadata in some files

esseger

Several of my JPG files contains metadata (they were written by a previous version of Daminion, I think). However, the current version of daminion (standalone, 3.3 - 1070) can not read them, and it can neither write new metadata to these files.

An example of a problematic file is available at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9atbr8fu8etl6os/AACHDwGMzA9w4G7woGrE79wZa?dl=0

I can confirm this, same thing here (standalone 1070, win7/64). It seems to me it could be metadata related; if you delete all metadata (using exiftool gui), then you can normally write and read data with daminion.

The file was edited in gimp 2.8.10. I think some previous versions used to have problems loosing or corrupting metadata. But this is pure guessing, I can see nothing suspicious there.

• 2 weeks later...

Several of my JPG files contains metadata (they were written by a previous version of Daminion, I think). However, the current version of daminion (standalone, 3.3 - 1070) can not read them, and it can neither write new metadata to these files.

An example of a problematic file is available at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9atbr8fu8etl6os/AACHDwGMzA9w4G7woGrE79wZa?dl=0

Sorry for the delay with response.

The file you shared was updated by ExifTool 9.69 and there is no information in the XMP that Daminion updated the metadata of this file. So I guess Daminion was not updated this file.

But anyway thanks for sharing this file - we'll analyze it tomorrow or a day after tomorrow.

The prelimiary report:

The Adobe XMPToolkit library version that we use crashes when trying to open this file.

Daminion is able to write to this image after importing it to LR 5.2 and updating the image metadata. However LR removes some metadata including PersonInImage info.

We continue checking the issue... :gamer2:

The problem is because the PersonInImage XMP field contains double entry:

<Iptc4xmpExt:PersonInImage>
  <rdf:Bag>
   <rdf:li>Remi</rdf:li>
   <rdf:li>Gaetan</rdf:li>
   <rdf:li>Agathe</rdf:li>
  </rdf:Bag>
  <rdf:Seq>
   <rdf:li>Remi</rdf:li>
   <rdf:li>Gaetan</rdf:li>
   <rdf:li>Agathe</rdf:li>
  </rdf:Seq>
 </Iptc4xmpExt:PersonInImage>

To fix this issue I suggest you to do the next steps:

- Right click on an image in the Daminion's workspace.

- Go to the Open With menu and navigate to the Define External Tools command.

- Add the ExifTool with the below arguments:

2014-09-17_124144.jpg

- Right click on the file and go to the Open With > ExifTool: Fix XMP:PersonInImage Issue

- Right click on the file and go to Actions > Read Tags from File.

This should helps