1070 - DateTime Original, Date Created in media format MP4 and MTS

Uwe

Hello,

I made some short movies with the smartphone/compact camera. The media format is MP4 and MTS

The metadata of the original movie don't have information about the DateTime the movies were taken.

When I import such a movie I get in the DateTimeCreation the information from the Windows File System.

Then I enter in Daminion the DateTime the movie was taken.

This information is now in the XMP sidecar file in the tags Date/Time Original and Date Created. Then I rename the movie file based on this DateTime manually in Windows.

Now the file is unknown in Daminion until it is imported again, e.g. by Rescan folders. The relink function is out of focus in this workflow.

The Rescan Folders ignores the Date/Time Original or Date Created metadata of the XMP sidecar file and reads the DateTime information from the Windows File System.

The same with the "Read Tags from file" function.

When I'm not at home I tag all items/files on the laptop. Back home I have to import the movies in the central shared catalog - the DateTime information are not used and I have to enter them once more.

Question: Is it a bug or what are the Date/Time Original and Date Created metadata good for in the XMP sidecare file if they are not used in this case?

Regards, Uwe

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't reproduce this issue on my PC (but I also renamed the xmp sidecar)

Did you rename the .xmp file along with your original file?

This is the mandatory step when renaming original files with XMP sidecars.

If you'll rename your file from Daminion then your xmp sidecar file will be renamed automatically.

Another option is to rename file by BatchRename function using the %date_%time_%inum.%ext rename template.

Hello Murat,

I compared (ExifToolGUI) a MP4 file and a JPG file taken with the same camera (Canon G16).It seems that for the MP4 file Daminion uses the TimeZone parameter of the MakerNotes additionally to the dateTime Original but not for the JPG file.

In both cases (original files as they are, not yet handled by any program, just copied from SD Card to PC folder) the value of DateTime Original is already set by the camera to the local time the video/photo was taken and doesn't have to changed by the Import/Rescan of Daminion.

I have to check the MTS files later.

Regards, Uwe

Hello Murat,

you got two new files in my FTP Folder:

- MOV_file_original.mov

- Daminion_1090_DateTime_MOV_file.wmv

Please watch the video first and try to reproduce it in your system.

As you can see the "read tags from file" ignores the "DateTime Original" Tag entered in Daminion. I guess it's the same with "Rescan Folders".

Remaining on this status will ignore all adjustments I made on the laptop when I'll import the files in the central PC catalog at home.

Regards, Uwe

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Murat,

tested with 1104 build:

You got an example file in my FTP folder: Daminion_1104_DateTime_handling_Import.MTS

Please import this file in your system and use the rename option: %date_%time.%ext

1. these are the metadata of the original file before the Daminion Import (by ExifGUI)

Daminion_1104_import_MTS_file_00.jpg

2. These are the data shown by the Daminion Thumbnail View

Daminion_1104_import_MTS_file_01.jpg

3. These are the metadata after the Daminion Import and rename during the import (action: show all metadata)

Daminion_1104_import_MTS_file_02.jpg

4. It seems to be used the initial File Access Date to rename the file - why not the DateTime Original?

5. why is the DateTime Original of the imported file different from the initial value (-1 sec)?

6. the menu action: "rename" takes the DateTime Original metadata and corrects the file name that was wrong renamed by the import.

Regards, Uwe

Uwe, thanks for the video.

This is because Daminion uses the MediaInfo library to retrieve metadata from video files. And unfortunately the MediaInfo doesn't support viewing H264 metadata (probably due to patent restrictions) and thus we can't import this date.

Will see what we can do with this...