Rescan folder not reading GPS tags

Yorkie71

I normally geotag all my photos with GeoSetter. My normal routine is this

1. Import with Daminion
  2. Update file imported with geo data using GeoSetter
  3. Rescan folder to re-read the tags and pull in GPS data

However, the rescan does not seem to pull in the GPS data but if I do read tag data on the photo it does pull the data in.

Am I doing something wrong? Should the rescan pull in the appended GPS data?

Thanks

It seems that rescan routine only checks the file timestamp and nothing else. So if you have set your metadata editor (I use ExifToolGUI and also GeoSetter) to preserve date modified of files, Daminion doesn't see they have been altered, unless you manually reread the metadata.

I wander whether this can be improved without loosing too much speed.

Ahh right Jacal. That would explain things then.

I suppose I could set GeoSetter to update the modified date but would that mess up the sort order in Daminion. I have it set to Creation Datetime so I suspect not. Easiest way is to try it I suppose.

I'll feedback later on.

Comparing hashes would perhaps be too slow, but comparing file size would be, I think, fast and better than nothing. It is theoretically possible, but very unlikely that file size stays the same after changing metadata.

I prefer keeping the old file modified date when I, for example, add a few tags to some 10 years old photos, without changing images themselves.

• Upvote 1

What Daminion version do you use? In the latest build we additionally check files by FileSize in addition to the FileModifiedDate to decide whether it should be added into the Rescan queue.

Hi Murat

I'm not sure which version I'm on. It's been acouple of weeks since I updated so I'll install the latest build, try again and feedback.

Thanks.

Hi Murat

I'm not sure which version I'm on. It's been acouple of weeks since I updated so I'll install the latest build, try again and feedback.

Thanks.

Just tested with build 1059 and it has worked. The Rescan now picks up the GPS tags.

Excellent! The product just keeps on giving. Outstanding support.

Thanks.

My first test with 1059 was successful, but most of following ones were not. So for me it works occasionally, here and there.

Mostly adding single xmp keywords, changes in file size are small, sometimes less than 10 bytes, but are certainly there.

Almost all beta versions have been installed on this computer though, so perhaps I should try a clean install and rebuilding the catalogue.

EDIT:

With 1059 and 1060 on 2 win7/64 computers I have more basic problems, not being able to import images, recreate database, display thumbnails etc., with constant crashes. That should be enough for today. Bye!

With 1061, rescanning still doesn't work for me, i.e. it can't detect changed files with different metadata and size, but same time stamp. Even worse, I can't create a new catalogue from my usual collection of test files. Importing chokes on some files, that are there for months and have never been a problem, like a 32-bit tiff, saved by paint.net (with some problematic metadata and non-ascii characters in file name). After a couple of minutes, Daminion crashes.

The old catalogue (same files) also can not handle that image any more. Can't display or recreate thumbnail, after removing from catalogue and rescanning, crash.

Do you work with local or shared catalog?

With 1061, rescanning still doesn't work for me, i.e. it can't detect changed files with different metadata and size, but same time stamp.

Can you reproduce the issue with the 1062 build?

Even worse, I can't create a new catalogue from my usual collection of test files. Importing chokes on some files, that are there for months and have never been a problem, like a 32-bit tiff, saved by paint.net (with some problematic metadata and non-ascii characters in file name). After a couple of minutes, Daminion crashes.

The old catalogue (same files) also can not handle that image any more. Can't display or recreate thumbnail, after removing from catalogue and rescanning, crash.

We need more info. Can you please record a brief screencase video for me?

Any bug-reports, logs, screenshots, test files, remote access to your PC would be very helpful.

Thank you, Murat, for your reply.

I am very sorry, but I am not at home often these days. I am more than willing to give you access to my computer and to make a screencast, but can not do it right now.

Recently I only use standalone Daminion, since most of the time I only use my main computer. On my second computer I have the same image sets - manually synced - and often the same beta version of your programme. But this installation of Daminion uses it's own, separate catalogues, with same files, sometimes with different results. That may mean that constant beta upgrades can affect the behaviour of Daminion.

So here and there I create new catalogues, I don't rely on them, keeping metadata in files. For CR2s I use ExifToolGUI and GeoSetter, for JPGs usually Daminion, although with beta some bugs are expected.

My problems with rescanning - changed metadata, but same time stamp, changes undetected - are still there with 1062.

Trying to give you at least something useful, here should be the tiff file, one of files, my Daminion currently can't import:

http://filebin.net/mzbal0hr0d

As said, it has some problematic metadata, but it was catalogued months ago without problems with many versions, now it kills Daminion every time.

The original jpg -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8d/Lutte_s%C3%A9n%C3%A9galaise_Bercy_2013_-_Mame_Balla-Pape_Mor_L%C3%B4_-_32.jpg

- was edited and saved by paint.net 4.

By the way, is support for gimp xcf images, pdn images and odf documents to be expected some day? I understand that this is not your main concern, though.

Have a nice evening!