How do you perform multiple tag relationships?

software

• 2 weeks later...

Of course!

qsOB7xm.png

...okay, it's a REALLY bad illustration, but hopefully it gets the message across.

I think it would be better if that number "1" remained so you know there is only 1 in the paintings, and not 33.

But there could be a child(ren) tag(s) for both turtles, where there could be a copy and/or a link to the other connected turtles tag(s) (maybe with different color if there are normal child tags as well).

And the main turtles tags could be with different color again so you know there are connected items. So 2 new colors needed.

Don't you achieve the result you are looking with a saved search? I can easily imagine a situation where you have literally the same sub-tag in multiple categories (e.g. animals>turtles, paintings>turtles and sculptures>turtles). To maintain the understanding of the context you cannot merge the values. With a saved search you have a predefined search that would show you all images in the subcategories.

-Juha

Don't you achieve the result you are looking with a saved search? I can easily imagine a situation where you have literally the same sub-tag in multiple categories (e.g. animals>turtles, paintings>turtles and sculptures>turtles). To maintain the understanding of the context you cannot merge the values. With a saved search you have a predefined search that would show you all images in the subcategories.

-Juha

I think that is based on the relationship between the tags.

With the turtles, I think it's only some kind of sibling relation, they are related but not with the same values, because one of them a real turtle, other is just a painting. But you want to know that there are other turtles, so needed some kind of relation.

But if you have a John Smith, and you have a hierarchy where he is in "people->J", and in "people->Johns", and in "Smith family", too, those are basically clones of the same tag, so the value is the same.

I don't want to use saved searches again, i had hundreds, in the end i scrolled long minutes to find the correct one on that long list, it was faster to make a normal search again. Of course I used the saved searches the same as smart collections in lightroom, i have a big hierarchy there and i tried to achieve that in daminion, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I think that this may be a solution?

Take a collection of pictures of people. You may have tags for the persons name and another for hair colour. If you added a load of pictures of Mary and she had Blonde Hair it would be really useful to select the two tags (Mary and Blonde) give them a name and then be able to allocate that name to all of the pics. Is this perhaps what is being asked for. of course it becomes really useful when you have perhaps four or five tags that you want assigned to a batch of pics.

Tony

Hi,

I think that this may be a solution?

Take a collection of pictures of people. You may have tags for the persons name and another for hair colour. If you added a load of pictures of Mary and she had Blonde Hair it would be really useful to select the two tags (Mary and Blonde) give them a name and then be able to allocate that name to all of the pics. Is this perhaps what is being asked for. of course it becomes really useful when you have perhaps four or five tags that you want assigned to a batch of pics.

Tony

Yeah, and i think many of us are doing similar things now temporarily, but the problem is that there can be way too many variations (so too many additional extra tags) and the mixed meaning tags can kill the order of the hierarchy, and we'd like to use hierarchy to avoid that in the first place.

With relations the whole thing can be more simple and ordered.

edit: By the way for only assigning there are the tag presets, but without any option for hierarchy the list can grow too long if you want to assign every hair color and name, etc. at the same time. I wanted similar thing, but i gave up, the tag presets is not up for that in its current state, there are too many variations.