Problems with German Umlauts

WilfriedB

I copy my images from card to hard disk with ImageIngester Pro 3.5.04. Besides creating a folder structure and a backup copy, it also adds bulk metadata (such as Copyrights) to each file. The next step involves GeoSetter 3.4.5.1 to assign Geo-tags and other IPTC tags (place, keywords, categories ...) individually to each picture. Each of the tags can contain German umlauts (ä, ö, ü, ß, Ä, Ö, Ü).

So far with Daminion prior than Build 1055, I noticed the following:

• After first import, all tags with umlauts were read correctly

• After adding or changing some tags within Damion and writing the tags to file, the umlauts also appear correctly in GeoSetter. However, if I change anything in GeoSetter, write it back into the file and read tags from file again within Damion, the umlauts are changed. For example besides the old (and correct) tag “Blüten†now appears an additional one “Blütenâ€.

Starting with Daminion Build 1055, I noticed some (but not all) images show wrong umlauts immediately after first import. In those cases the tags for the same image are “Blüten†and “Blüten†at the same time.

• 4 months later...

I never received any response on this post and still have the same issues in Build 1119. However, some tags are imported correctly, while others are and many times the same tag appears twice: Once correctly with an Umlaut (e.g. "Nettebrücke") and a second time inccorectly (e.g."Nettebrücke").

This happens for all kind of tags: keywords, categories, places and people.

Which character coding are you using for IPTC in Geosetter? I suggest UTF-8, since XMP uses that anyway, and most of the programs, that still use IPTC, are OK with that. If this is of any help.

Thanks for the suggestion.I do use UTF-8 for several years and it always worked fine in iView Media Pro and Expression Media.