Insist on New Feature

Russell

Hi Murat and Team,

I'm still struggling to get Daminion to be pleased with my collection. I have somewhere around 150,000 images stored on NAS and Daminion never seems to ever finish. I can force my NAS to not spin-down and that doesn't resolve the issue - Daminion eventually gets "stuck" (the number next to the spinning scan wheel doesn't change for more than 24 hours!). I'm then left not knowing what I need to rescan. I really, really, really need some assistance with this - in more than a year of using Daminion, I've never been sure it includes all of my images. I suggest:

1. Let me click on the spinning wheel and see what Daminion is currently working on (hopefully there's a pattern to the way it scans photos that I can use to identify what I need to rescan, hopefully I can identify a file or two where it hangs (maybe corrupt?) and your team could analyse these files if there's something strange about them (particularly if Photoshop opens them).

2. Have Daminion scan ALL FILES - supported or not. Add a few more extensions under "Document" for the categories - or even just have "Unsupported File" as a category. I expect that if I browse to a folder in Daminion I can see the number of files in that folder and it's subfolders - and this should match EXACTLY with the numbers I see in Windows Explorer when I right click a folder and choose Properties.

Without this assistance, I'm really struggling to make this work. At this very moment, I'm thinking of completely dropping my catalog and creating it all over again (I have the option to save metadata into the files set, so I don't think I'll lose much work)... but rebuilding a catalog from scratch doesn't seem like fun.

Not sure what to do.

Trying to be a loyal fan,

Russell

Hi Russel,

Do you work with local or shared catalog?

For shared catalogs you can launch the Daminion Server Admin panel and send us the logs (Help > Show Logs). All file operations are logged.

To enable logging for local catalogs you need to launch the Daminion Standalone version with the -log_enable parameter.

We can also arrange a remote session tomorrow.

PS. A screencast video also might helps.

Hi Murat,

I've upgraded to the latest version (1033) and we'll see how this goes - I was out of disk space - so I'm sure that was an issue. Now I have a new SSD drive, so hopefully it'll run fast when my collection is fully added.

Can I expect that the number of files that Windows Explorer counts will match the number of files that Daminion shows? (If not, why not? And how can we make it match?)

Here's a problem I identified in scanning my entire collection (a bug?):

Daminion Collection Troubles (PDF)

And here's how I suggest things should work when scanning my collection (feature request):

Scanning Progress Window (PDF)

Hopefully others can provide feedback too.

Russell

Can I expect that the number of files that Windows Explorer counts will match the number of files that Daminion shows? (If not, why not? And how can we make it match?)

Nope. Because Windows Explorer displays all files while Daminion import only supported files. If Daminion fails to import a certain (supported) files it will be displayed in the report window after the import will be finished.

Also, is there a difference between highlighting the folder and Rescanning or clicking the bubble to the right of the folder name and rescanning? At first I thought that was an issue - now I'm not sure.

The "Rescan Folder" command applies to the selected folder. It doesn't depends from whether you checked the green radio button on the right of the folder name.

So it seems that there might be some idiosyncrasies between choosing the root device (zurlo is the NAS name) and choosing the folder name beneath it.

Yep. The "Rescan Folder" command doesn't work with remote location names (NAS/SAN/Remote Computer names). Although they are displayed with the folder icon, that I think is a minor bug. We'll disable this command for the the device names.

And here's how I suggest things should work when scanning my collection (feature request):

Scanning Progress Window (PDF)

Please reproduce this issue again and send me your server Logs (Admin Panel > Help > Show Logs...).

Murat,

Daminion is working again... I was presenting a bug (the misguided ability to right click and scan a NAS itself) and I presented a suggestion on how I'd like to see the rescan work. If it worked the way I suggest, I could quickly identify the troubles I've been having in getting my collection scanned.

Hopefully you'll review the PDF that I created to show you my idea and you'll consider it - and ask other users for their input... I think most everyone could benefit from a comprehensive system where the file counts match and the status of the scanning is easy to observe.

Here's my suggested rescan (see the last image that I created in this file):

Suggested Rescan Panel

Thanks,

Russell

Murat,

I really need Daminion to manage all file types - even files it doesn't provide any extra functionality for.

As an example, I have:

.pts files - for PTGui, a tool I use to create panoramics, this file stores the data to recreate the pano, so I can fine-tune it and rerender it if I wish (I do this often) - I hope the stacking feature will let me put my pano image on top, and then have all the source files, along with the pano's .pts file in the stack.

.dxo files - I used to use DxO Optics and it stores similar settings, per file, in a seperate .dxo file. Not as important to me as .pts, I could probably delete all these and not cry for too long, but I'm sure other people use tools that store settings like this.

.txt files - I store settings, notes I have about a location, etc. in .txt files that I hope I can put in my image stacks.

Anyway, please, please, please expand to have Daminion handle all files - you can show a really ugly icon, even a "Russell begged us to do this and we hate it" icon - that's fine... but I really need it. (As a bonus, I'd also get matching file counts, which I need too!) :good2:

Thanks,

Russell

Hello,

I totally agree. Today I've defined all media formats that are not nativly supported by Daminion in the "Import Filters...".

The things I'm currently missing: to distinguish the formats and not to aggregate them as "unknown formats" and an "Icon Support" of these formats. Maybe to have a central "Icon Folder" to save the icons for ZIP, RAR, TXT, GPS, GPX, ODS, ODT, NAR... using names like: "zip.icon.jpg", "rar.icon.jpg" etc. Daminion can predefine folder and the dimension/size of the icon file and everybody can define it's own icons if not already existing somewhere.

Regards, Uwe

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've registered a list of planned improvements for the "Rescan Folders" features (sorted randomly):

1. Realtime File/Folder Watching Service (probably "Rescan Folders" might be useless if this feature will be turned on)
  2. #3393. Don't show the "Last Imported Files" if no new files were added by the rescan
  3. Display information about the currently scanning folder and files. Probably some extra statistic: how many files were scanned/how many were added). As an option display the progress in the tree (according to Russell's screenshot)

4. #3356. Locate and kill a bug when Rescan is not able to determine changes in remote folder while they actualy were made. (It occurred with one of our customer, but I didn't get a feedack fro him since my last message, so any assistance is appreciated here)
  5. Report after rescan
  6. Add an option to import all file formats
  7. Add an option "Don't import hidden folders and files"
  8. #3394. Display the selected folder name in the "Rescan Folders" window. Or number of selected folders.
  9. A filename pattent to ignore files

Can say nothing about the deadline, but part of the options will be implemented in the 3.5 version.