Problem with JPG sidecars for .MOV(QuickTime) and AVI files

WarriorOne

Just started with Daminion and so far been very impressed with it's extensive capabilities and ease of use. Now I'm trying to resolve a few minor glitches and can use some help.

Seems like there is inconsistent behavior with treatment of sidecar files in Daminion depending on sidecar file-format.

I have numerous video clips that were recorded in .MOV/QuickTime and AVI files. Those files have associated sidecar files that contain metadata and thumbnail image. Movie clips from Canon cameras have associated metadata in .THM sidecar files. With other cameras (e.g. Panasonic ) meta data is written in to .JPG sidecar files.

For .THM sidecar files - Daminion automatically links .THM and .AVI/.MOV files and uses metadata from .THM sidecar files when searching and viewing associated .MOV and .AVI file. Also Daminion does not display .THM files in media browser. This is desired behavior.

For .JPG sidecar files - Daminion treats .jpg sidecar files as completely separate files. It does not use metadata from .JPG sidecar files when searching/displaying associated .MOV files, and also does not hide .JPG sidecar files in the media browser, unlike with .THM sidecar files.

This can obviously creates problem when searching/cataloging movie clip.

Can you recommend a solution for linking .jpg sidecar/metadata files to their parent files? (people with RAW files would likely have the same problem if they store metadata in .jpg sidecars)

Should I convert .jpg sidecars in to Canon .thm format, or is there a proper official way to handle .jpg sidecar files in Daminion?

Thanks!

Update: I also noticed the same behavior with JPG sidecars not getting linked to the parent file in another DAM program, so it sounds like JPG sidecars are not industry-standard.

Since JPG sidecars files look to be the same as THM files - I think this problem can be solved by changing extension of JPG sidecar files from .JPG to .THM. This solves the problem with sidecars being treated separately from the parent MOV/AVI file.

Yep. This is not the industry standard.

Another option is to create a JPEG sidecar file and rename it as basefilename.ext.thumb.jpg

However in this case Daminion will only use the *thumb.jpg file as a preview for your videos but the metadata will be saved into the original file.

Another option is to create a JPEG sidecar file and rename it as basefilename.ext.thumb.jpg

However in this case Daminion will only use the *thumb.jpg file as a preview for your videos but the metadata will be saved into the original file.

I found that it's also the case for .mov files with .thm sidecars - when writing metadeta from Daminion catalog - it gets written in to .mov file itself, not in to .thm file, but that's not a big issue.