Swedish letters

mr.peterjohansson

How do you search for a word that contains let's say "Ã¥" symbol?

gården or garden?

The second search phrase will not find items with the gården tag. However we'll add support for synonyms in the next Daminion version (~3.2), and for words with umlaut symbols we'll create a synonyms without umlauts, so you can search for images with gården using garden key word.

Creating synonyms without umlauts can create problems. In Finnish:

– pässi = a ram

– passi = a passport

As a Finn I would search Finnish words with umlauts, typing the words without umlauts would be unnatural. I don't know how French feel about their accented vowels.

-Juha

How do you search for a word that contains let's say "Ã¥" symbol?

gården or garden?

The second search phrase will not find items with the gården tag. However we'll add support for synonyms in the next Daminion version (~3.2), and for words with umlaut symbols we'll create a synonyms without umlauts, so you can search for images with gården using garden key word.

I search with å..gården..only problen in win 8.1 not in win 7

??

Hm, I waited for the synonyms with Hungarian keywords, but I tried this now, and the search is not working with Hungarian letters either: ö, ő, ü, ű. I'm using Win7.

And in the Catalog Tags tab it puts all keywords with á, é, í, ó, ö, ő, ú, ü, ű to the end of the list, and not in their correct places in the alphabetical order (a, á... e, é... i, í... o, ó, ö, ő... u, ú, ü, ű).

(By the way, there is any news about the synonyms and controlled vocabulary? I'm going crazy waiting for it. :D)

Creating synonyms without umlauts can create problems. In Finnish:

– pässi = a ram

– passi = a passport

As a Finn I would search Finnish words with umlauts, typing the words without umlauts would be unnatural. I don't know how French feel about their accented vowels.

Probably this should be an optional feature.

• 2 weeks later...

This whole internationalization is a mess. I did some software development in plain C very very long time ago and I introduced myself to the question of internationalization (I18N).

The sorting order and interpretation of the accented/umlauted letters vary from language to language. E.g. in German ä = ae in sorting, but in Finnish/Swedish it is sorted in order z, å, ä, ö. In Norwegian/Danish where ä is written æ and ö is written ø the sorting order is z, æ, ø, å. If you would follow strictly the Finnish sorting rules then v = w in sorting, which is not the case in Swedish/Norwegian/Danish. In Norwegian/Danish sorting aa = å, so where singe 'a' is the first the double 'a' is the last in sorting. In Finnish/Swedish this is not the case, 'aa' would be sorted directly after single 'a' or 'a' and a space.

My proposal is, if there is no full I18N support in the Daminion programming language, to use the ISO-8859 as basis or strip of all accents/umlauts. Selecting between the two options would be a choice for the user. Otherwise IMHO Daminion development team will end up in a situation where the focus of the development efforts in a secondary issue.

-Juha

This whole internationalization is a mess. I did some software development in plain C very very long time ago and I introduced myself to the question of internationalization (I18N).

In a modern world of Windows development most of the work do numerous APIs and frameworks. Developer just needs courage and brain to use them.

Exactly. Things have progressed from my development days. And the point I tried to make was that find the right tools (APIs and frameworks) that really support the I18N, as @montonero says and use them – or do some very elementary things and stick to that. It will be a big effort to do I18N support properly from scratch and there would always come new languages that have their own special rules. IMO that is not worth it.

-Juha

I noticed interesting thing today, the tags are sorted differently in the personal edition and the server edition. I'm in a middle of moving my catalog from the personal edition to the server edition. I'm recreating the server catalog from the original images so I can verify that the tagging information has been properly included into the images.

When comparing the information I noticed that the sort order in personal edition was

– Vappu

– Verna

– Väinö

– Weekend

and in the server

– Vappu

– Weekend

– Verna

– Väinö

The sorting order in the server edition is exactly right. According to the Finnish grammar rules in sorting V = W.

-Juha