NAS & face tag questions

IGraham

Hello

The quick question version

First question for me is a deal breaker

1. Can I move the database to a NAS so that so that more than one installation of Daminion can access the images - not simultaneously

2. Can Picasa face tags be used by Daminion - and if so how

3. Will Daminion be implementing its own version of face tag

The long version

I'm quite new to organising images - all were littered across my PC and NAS

For the past month I've been slowly getting things sorted in to one folder/images hierarchal system on my NAS - used AmoK Exif Sorter for that.

I Also looked at a few image organisers and eventually went with Picasa as I could use it with the folder/images and database stored on my NAS - which could be accessed from more than one installation of Picasa on separate PC's. I Also liked Picasa's tagging and face recognition, liked the relatively simple uncluttered layout as well. I didn't like how hard it was to use those tags to select and view the images.

So I looked again at image organisers and found one I'd previously missed Daminion - which even has a free version and a reasonably priced paid version to tempt the punter.

So I installed Daminion last night and have had a initial 'play' with it - looking good.

It sees and users my NAS based system ok, but doesn't store a database within the NAS file system. So my first question is going to concern that, can I move the database to the NAS ? - how

My second question is to do with face recognition, I've spent some time using Picasa to face tag people - are those face tags not accessible to Daminion, if so how do I import/see/use them. Will face recognition eventually be incorporated within Daminion

No doubt if the first question can be resolved - do say 'yes' - I'll eventually have a few more questions

Happy new year

Hey lGraham,

welcome to Daminion.

Well let me answer your questions:

First question for me is a deal breaker

1. Can I move the database to a NAS so that so that more than one installation of Daminion can access the images - not simultaneously

Well I'm not sure, but I guess, that's what the Server version is for. And please keep in mind, Daminion Standalone is free only if you keep your files under 15k files. Take a look at this. Pricetable Daminion Standalone

2. Can Picasa face tags be used by Daminion - and if so how

It was always said that until Picasa 3.5 or 3.8 it would be possible, I never realy got it to work. We are currently getting on the developers nerves in order to get this done.

3. Will Daminion be implementing its own version of face tag

We'll since picasa is the leader in that topics I guess it will take a long time, if it would be done! I for myself would wish it, in order for me not to have other software running on my Server and for my family to have this done.

I hope I could help you!

Well I'm not sure, but I guess, that's what the Server version is for. And please keep in mind, Daminion Standalone is free only if you keep your files under 15k files. Take a look at this. Pricetable Daminion Standalone

Storage of Daminion catalogs (as well as databases of any other standalone photo management programs) on removable network locations is dangerous, because it might corrupt your database and you loss all your information. And several customers contacted us in the past regarding this issue and we manually fixed their databases. Of course this is not make sense anymore to spent our developers time this way and we disabled an ability to create new local catalogs on remote locations since Daminion 1.0 version.

I suggest you to use the Daminion Server version (Pro and Home versions should be enough) to provide the Fast and Reliable multi-access to your centralized image archive library.

It was always said that until Picasa 3.5 or 3.8 it would be possible, I never realy got it to work. We are currently getting on the developers nerves in order to get this done.

We added support for importing faces from the Picasa early than 3.8 versions, but as Rene said, this works quite unstable because we use undocumented Picasa capabilities and we can't control the Picasa behavior. A idea to import faces from the XMP will be much better(seems the latest Picasa versions can write faces into the metadata), but due to an overloaded roadmap we didn't implement this capability yet.

Hello Rene and Murat - and thanks for the replys

The 15k limit wouldn't initially have been a problem and the upgrade price was double.

I hadn't really taken much notice of the server version as it was above my payout pain threshold and I assumed it was some sort of server side thing. My NAS doesn't really have the power to run full on server type installations.

I use picasastarter to Allow Picasa to work from my NAS, mostly it just works, though occasionally Picasa doesn't see the NAS and needs a few retrys. Picasastarter does provide a way to backup the data base - and you've just reminded me that I should do so soon. I would assume that if you know where the database files etc are and know that its necessary then keeping a back up wouldn't be a problem.

Don't suppose that provided I accept the risk you'd reinstate the remote locations capability - please.

Daminion does a much better job (except for face tags) participially when it comes to finding and viewing the images it's a shame I'd need the server version to do what I want

Never mind, thanks for providing me with a few hours of entertainment.

Daminion Server can be installed on a regular computer with installed Window, but not on a NAS.

You need then just import your images from your NAS by file references, so the actual file will be stored on your NAS.

The cheapest Daminion Server license costs $99 US (Home Server with one connection)

.We added support for importing faces from the Picasa early than 3.8 versions, but as Rene said, this works quite unstable because we use undocumented Picasa capabilities and we can't control the Picasa behavior. A idea to import faces from the XMP will be much better(seems the latest Picasa versions can write faces into the metadata), but due to an overloaded roadmap we didn't implement this capability yet.

I would really appreciate to implementation of picasa face tags, since one of my main aspects to use dominion was to search for faces