932 - Import "Modified Date" vs "Date Creation"

Uwe

Hello,

in the Import Dialog Window there is the "Group by" - "Modified Date" now. As far as I remember this was the "Creation Date" before. That leads to the situation that the files are imported in the wrong folder. The "Modified Date" doesn't make any sense for me because it is not interesting for me when the file was modified. The Creation Date (EXIF:DateTimeOriginal) is the important time stamp.

Regards, Uwe

Update 30.12.2013

There is a mismatch between the date shown in the "Group by" box and the date that is used in the Import.

In the "Group by" box the "Modified date" is shown but the Import uses the DateTimeOriginal of the file. That means: I see the date 30.12.2013 in the Group by" box and the "Example File name" but the file will be imported in the folder generated from DateTimeOriginal, in my case 19.10.2013.

When you import the files directly from the CF/SD card you don't have this mismatch because all date are equal. But for photos already imported and used for later actions, e.g. panorama stitching, you get this status that confused me.

• 3 weeks later...

Daminion groups importing files by Modified Date instead of the EXIF:OriginalDateTime because it's much faster to retrieve the file modified date rather than read and parse EXIF from thousands of images.

This just a performance question. Otherwise building of groups will be very slow.

Hello,

the "Modified Date" is completely useless for me. If I copy files to a central folder to import them from this folder I get this "copy-date" in Daminion. But this doesn't make any sense because the date of "Copy" to this central folder is not interesting.

The question is: does anybody has a performance problem with the DateTime Original of the EXIF data?

My answer: I don't have it.

Regards, Uwe

Daminion groups importing files by Modified Date instead of the EXIF:OriginalDateTime because it's much faster to retrieve the file modified date rather than read and parse EXIF from thousands of images.

This just a performance question. Otherwise building of groups will be very slow.

Making previews with color profile implementing (it is still incorrect, by the way) is faster then EXIF reading?

The question is: does anybody has a performance problem with the DateTime Original of the EXIF data?

My answer: I don't have it.

You can't see this difference because we don't use EXIF DateTime Original to build a list of groups for files, so you can't compare it with current Daminion version. And this reflects to the speed of building groups on the left side of the Import Window only.

For example, if loading and parsing EXIF:Original Date takes ~0.05 sec per average file (not images only), to build a list of groups for 50000 you need to wait 2500 sec = 40 mins!

Making previews with color profile implementing (it is still incorrect, by the way) is faster then EXIF reading?

We make previews only for a small part of visible thumbnails only, while 99% of other thumbnails are not visible.

You can't see this difference because we don't use EXIF DateTime Original to build a list of groups for files, so you can't compare it with current Daminion version. And this reflects to the speed of building groups on the left side of the Import Window only.

For example, if loading and parsing EXIF:Original Date takes ~0.05 sec per average file (not images only), to build a list of groups for 50000 you need to wait 2500 sec = 40 mins!

We make previews only for a small part of visible thumbnails only, while 99% of other thumbnails are not visible.

May be checkbox in Options will be good? Default is existing behavior. And in another case of this setting it will read EXIF to group images and some more possible capabilities. Fast setting is universal, but not all users, I think, choosing to import folder with thousands of images.

In addition you can count files to be import and ask user to make fast or precise scan if count is big. To estimate how long it will scan this number of images you can use timing of previous scan if it was more than 10-20-30 of images...

Edited by Cactus