f6 rescan - what's going on ?

timh99

Hi Murat, hope it helps if I post here than email as previously.

f6 rescan folders - when I do this it takes sucha long time to do it, and the only visible effect that something is happening, is the small rotating wheel and number changing at the bottom left of the window (above the tray).

would it be posible to expand what is happening, so I can make an informed decision to cancel it or not.

Also, I cannot work out why the numbers keep going down AND up, not just down. Surely it should calculate how many there are to check in total, then count down as it does them.

confusing !

thanks

tim

Also, I cannot work out why the numbers keep going down AND up, not just down. Surely it should calculate how many there are to check in total, then count down as it does them.

"Rescan Folders" option recursively scans all sub-folders inside the selected folder. It means that Daminion doesn't calculate how many files should be re-scanned. It just scans them one by one and looking for changes in all sub-folders.

This is why the numbers are started to going down after each sub-folder scan.

Hello,

is it possible to get additional information: folder and file name? Are the folder scanned in the same order as they appear in the Folder Panel?

Is it possible to parallelise the rescan, e.g. 1 folder = 1 job, 10 folder = 10 jobs. In the customizing one should define the maximum number of parallel jobs?

Regards, Uwe

Hello,

I don't understand it.

The rescan process reads the file information and writes in the database if this has to be done. The PostgreSQL database supports the parallel access. Additionally it has to render the thumbnails of the new items. I guess it's much faster to continue to read the next file in another process and in between to render/write the thumbnail/database information in a parallel process.

The import has the additional copy function if the source and destination is different but the rest should be the same.

Regards, Uwe

"Rescan Folders" option recursively scans all sub-folders inside the selected folder. It means that Daminion doesn't calculate how many files should be re-scanned. It just scans them one by one and looking for changes in all sub-folders.

This is why the numbers are started to going down after each sub-folder scan.

Fair enough, I understand it now, but can you show the folder names please, as that would be more helpful in estimating how long the process might take. I presume it scans alphabetically ?

tim

• 2 months later...