Will the server also be available shortly?

Ramshackles

Will the server also be available shortly?

I'm currently researching solutions for a small network (~10 clients) and all photos stored on a server, haven't been able to find a viable solution yet (within our price range).

As soon as the "server" word is added to a product suddenly the cost is multiplied by 10, even for solutions using free database solutions, that's just too steep of a price tag for our group.

We're not backed by a large corporation sadly, most of our work is freelance.

We're very much interested in testing both client and server aspect of Daminion :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are working hard and do our best to release Daminion Server for small teams as soon as possible.

There are many common libraries between both versions. Daminion Standalone version uses the small built-in Server that is invisible for users, but helps us to implement and test both versions simultaneously. The architecture of both systems are similar.

Regarding the price - it will be affordable for small teams, because they are in our focus from the beginning.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Any news on the server edition? Thanks

Yes. We plan to send a Server alpha version to 10-15 of our active users for evaluating during the week. This version must be used with a test media collection, until we'll release a Server Beta version.

Although Daminion Standalone and Daminion Server use the large amount of the same units/code, so the Server should be stable enough.

Yes. We plan to send a Server alpha version to 10-15 of our active users for evaluating during the week. This version must be used with a test media collection, until we'll release a Server Beta version.

Although Daminion Standalone and Daminion Server use the large amount of the same units/code, so the Server should be stable enough.

Can I participate on the server alpha version? :)

Hi Murat.

I would also very much like to be added to the testing team if I am not already on your list. I won't have time for really exhaustive high-volume testing, but plan to do the test-installation on Windows 7 running in Parallels under Mac OS X (Lion) as mentioned earlier, and if possible experiment with storing the media on my NAS server.

This should provide testing in a somewhat different environment than most other users I guess :-)

Regards Jan

Hello,

I would also love to test the product if you need another tester. I currently have close to 800GB - 1TB of home media that I'm trying to find an easy way to allow my wife and myself to access / edit / tag / print / etc. This product looks ideal.

I have a Windows Server 2008R2 domain environment with both a Mac w/ Fusion and Windows PCs.

Thanks!

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

Can I be sent a copy of the trial version of the Daminion Server. I am the IT Officer for a marketing firm and we are looking for a solution that looks exactly like what you are offering.

Are your media files located on the same PC where you plan to install the Daminion Server? If yes, I suggest you to wait a few days (3 nov '11) until we release a new server version that allows to import files with direct links.

The current Daminion Server version uploads the files into a folder on a server PC (even if the files are located on the same PC)

Otherwise I can send you a link to the current Daminion Server build.

Are your media files located on the same PC where you plan to install the Daminion Server? If yes, I suggest you to wait a few days (3 nov '11) until we release a new server version that allows to import files with direct links.

The current Daminion Server version uploads the files into a folder on a server PC (even if the files are located on the same PC)

Otherwise I can send you a link to the current Daminion Server build.

All the picture files are stored on a server using Windows Storage Server 2008. The employees currently access the files and folders via a map drive to the server. I would like all the pictures to be stored in one central location which is the server. Does this answer your question?

All the picture files are stored on a server using Windows Storage Server 2008. The employees currently access the files and folders via a map drive to the server. I would like all the pictures to be stored in one central location which is the server. Does this answer your question?

OK. I understand you and suggest to wait a few days before we'll release a new Daminion Server version with support for direct links.

Daminion 0.8.7b and Daminion Server 0.8.7b are ready to download and test.

On this Server release we've added support for direct links and fixed a lot of bugs.

We were in a hurry to release a new version today :heat:, so there is a minor workaround might be necessary if you need to import files from an external NAS or a PC with shared folders:

• Please install Daminion Server
  • Then open the Services window
  • Locate and double click on the DaminionServerService
  • Switch to Log On page and check Log On as:
  • Locate a user with permissions to locate/read/write to your external folders
  • Enter password to your account and click OK

Now Daminion Server will have an access to share folders across your network.

We'll add this functionality to the installer a bit later.

It's too late now (21:33) and I am bit tired so during a few days we'll publish a description of the changes in a new Daminion version(s).

Look forward to hearing your feedback! :bye:

If the Daminion Server has an access to the imported links you should to see an option to import the direct links.

This option will be active in the following cases:

1. Daminion Client and Daminion Server are installed on the same PC, and Client installs local files or files from a network drive (or a NAS)

2. Daminion Client and Daminion are installed on different PCs, and Client import the files from a network folder (or a NAS)

Did you install the both Daminion Server and Client 0.8.7?

Yes, I updated both (server and client). Both are installed on the same PC which holds my images.

When trying to add files it does not matter if I add them from the local drive or the mapped drive. In either case I get a dialog box having the option checked to "upload files to the server". The checkbox is disabled so I can not uncheck it.

Daminion client is connected to Daminion server using the shared catalog via loopback (127.0.0.1) in case this matters.

EDIT: If I use the "real" adress (192.168.1.51) the box is unchecked by default and enabled so I could check it if I wanted to.

Thanks for posting the update.

FYI, this doesn't appear to support updating the existing catalog properly. I ran through the installer and now I cannot connect to the server from the client without getting .NET errors. I'm trying to completely uninstall PSQL and delete all data references before installing again to see if it functions properly.

Thanks,

Ryan