[909] Importing cut categories and places from photos

Cactus

Trying to remove directions in geotagging from photos added by one of previous Daminions bug. Using GeoSetter, that using ExifTool.

I changing direction, saving this and getting report:

C:Users......AppDataRoamingGeoSetter	oolsexiftool.exe -@ "C:Users.....AppDataLocalTempet06D30B68.arg" "E:............IMG_0003.JPG"

-overwrite_original
-EXIF:DateTimeOriginal=2013-07-06T12:42:18Z
-EXIF:CreateDate=2013-07-06T12:42:18Z
-EXIF:ModifyDate=2013-07-06T12:42:18Z
-EXIF:TimeZoneOffset=
-XMP:DateTimeOriginal=2013-07-06T12:42:18Z+08:00
-XMP:DateTimeDigitized=2013-07-06T12:42:18Z+08:00
-XMP:ModifyDate=2013-07-06T12:42:18Z+08:00
-EXIF:GPSLatitude=55.04311323
-EXIF:GPSLongitude=82.91181743
-EXIF:GPSLatitudeRef=N
-EXIF:GPSLongitudeRef=E
-EXIF:GPSMapDatum=WGS-84
-EXIF:GPSVersionID=2.2.0.0
-EXIF:GPSImgDirection=180.00
-EXIF:GPSImgDirectionRef=T
-EXIF:GPSDestLatitude=39.00783549
-EXIF:GPSDestLongitude=82.91181743
-EXIF:GPSDestLatitudeRef=N
-EXIF:GPSDestLongitudeRef=E
-XMP:GPSLatitude=55.04311323
-XMP:GPSLongitude=82.91181743
-XMP:GPSVersionID=2.2.0.0
-XMP:GPSMapDatum=WGS-84
-XMP:GPSDestLatitude=39.00783549
-XMP:GPSDestLongitude=82.91181743
-XMP:GPSAltitude=0.000000
-XMP:GPSAltitudeRef=Above Sea Level
-XMP:GPSImgDirection=180.00
-XMP:GPSImgDirectionRef=T
-XMP:GPSDateTime=2013-07-06T04:42:18Z
-XMP:AuthorsPosition=
-XMP:CountryCode=RUS
-IPTC:CodedCharacterSet=UTF8
-IPTC:Country-PrimaryLocationCode=RUS
-XMP:Country=Россия
-XMP:State=Новосибирская область
-IPTC:Province-State=Новосибирская область
-XMP:City=Новосибирск
-XMP:Location=Нарымский сквер
-XMP:Artist=
-XMP:Description=
-XMP:Instructions=
-XMP:Title=
-XMP:Headline=
-XMP:Credit=
-XMP:Rights=
-XMP:CaptionWriter=
-XMP:Source=
-XMP:BaseUrl=
-XMP:Category=
-XMP:SupplementalCategories+=Техника|Велосипе
-IPTC:SupplementalCategories+=Техника|Велосипед
-XMP:Subject=RUS
-XMP:Subject=Новосибирск
-XMP:Subject=Новосибирская область
-XMP:Subject=Россия
-IPTC:Keywords=RUS
-IPTC:Keywords=Новосибирск
-IPTC:Keywords=Новосибирская область
-IPTC:Keywords=Россия
-XMP:DateCreated=2013-07-06T12:42:18Z+07:00
-xmp:rating=
-xmp:ratingpercent=
-XMP:Label=
-XMP:CreatorAddress=
-XMP:CreatorPostalCode=
-XMP:CreatorCity=
-XMP:CreatorRegion=
-XMP:CreatorCountry=
-XMP:CreatorWorkTelephone=
-XMP:CreatorWorkEmail=
-XMP:CreatorWorkURL=

And warnings:

Warning: [minor] IPTC:Province-State exceeds length limit (truncated)
Warning: [minor] IPTC:SupplementalCategories exceeds length limit (truncated)

Then I importing this photo and getting cut in categories and places. See picture.

I do not know this is a bug of Daminion (that written long strings earlier) or ExifTool (that can't cut it correctly to correspond to standards), but I don't know another software to remove incorrect directions added by Daminion earlier. And such convenient for geotagging photos.

I wanted to spend 0.5-1 hour to add some photos to new catalog, but I'm sitting 3 hours already, wanting to sleep, tired and trying to remember which photos I added to catalog today, in which I edited directions, in which compatibility option was on and which I see yellower. To take that photos from backup. And I'll hope that I'll not get mix of edited and not.

post-1678-0-58928700-1382815496_thumb.jpg

To write the right GPS position info into the images just by Daminion you can just select a set of images and launch "Actions > Write Tags to File" from the context menu.

No, thanks. Daminion has other problems while saving in files. And Daminion can't change GPS coords. I prefer GeoSetter for this - it is brought no problems yet. Especially because GeoSetter uses ExifTool.

To write the right GPS position info into the images just by Daminion you can just select a set of images and launch "Actions > Write Tags to File" from the context menu.

Build 911. Do as you say, but have no effect - direction stays in photo.

And some of my photos (from smartphone) have right directions. I do not want to wipe them automatically.

Mine mistake, sorry. A new Daminion update will not save zero-values for GPS positions like in previous version. To remove existing GPS Position info you can launch ExifTool with command line params. ExifTool can be located in Daminion's MediaProcessors folders.

Do you store directions? Or bug was only on writing of not stored values? Do I need to reread from files after wiping wrong directions by third-party app?

And what about cut categories and places? I wrote earlier about cut places and you said it is bug of long string writing (longer then standard) and of priority at reading from file.

Do you store directions? Or bug was only on writing of not stored values? Do I need to reread from files after wiping wrong directions by third-party app?

In the latest Daminion version (911) we save only GPS Position info (Longitude and Latitude). We don't store GPS direction info in the database (so you don't need to re-read tags files files after wrong GPS directions removal). To wipe the wrong (zero-value) directions I suggest to use ExifTool via command line (Open With > Define External Tools...)

And what about cut categories and places? I wrote earlier about cut places and you said it is bug of long string writing (longer then standard) and of priority at reading from file.

This is a bug with the Adobe XMP Toolkit that we use to read XMP from files. It can't read the Place:State if it was written by GeoSetter with exceeding IPTC limitation for this field.