Duplicates & keywords

Phloid

Newbie to using photo cataloging software. Tried forum search for answer; hope I didn't miss one.

I have a set of about 6000 JPG images that I want to catalog via Daminion. My only current organization is via Windows folders, i.e. no formal database. Currently I have "assigned" keywords to some of the images by placing them in various folders that are keyword named. I have written nothing to metadata. The really awkward part is that there may duplicates placed in anywhere from 2-4 different folders. Some are same image, same name and others are same image, different names. Fortunately I don't have to deal with different image edits as duplicates.

Using other software I have determined I have 1000+ such duplicates. I'm trying to imagine a way to eliminate duplicates while also capturing my keyword "assignments" into metadata on some type of merged basis. And to do this without having to review/write metadata on an image by image basis. 1000+ reviews is a lot of reviewing! I have held off importing into Daminion in case I might better do what I want before importing. Or am I simply going to have to do it the hard way?

FYI - I do understand the difference between Exif, IPTC and XMP. Also sidecar and embedded routes.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Below is one of the ways to add your images to Daminion by eliminating duplicates and copying your folder names into the metadata (there are also other ways to do this):

1. Launch Daminion and create a new catalog and place it into a new folder, for example: D:\MyPhotos

2. Now click on the "Add Files" button and specify your existing folders with images

3. Select options as I've shown on the screenshot below:

copyto.png

Now all your images will be copied into the D:\MyPhotos folder. And thanks to the File Naming template only original images will be copied to the dest. folder (because original and duplicate file will have the same name after renaming).

This method will works only if your images contain EXIF metadata that is necessary to rename the images.

Hope this helps.

Thanks guys. I've realized I need to study the whole topic of photo databases more before I really have insight into just how I want to do things. I'd like to approach structure methodically rather than "hit or miss", which I find frustrating. I may end up not even wanting to do exactly what I asked about.

Murat, your blog pose, categories-vs-keywords was helpful, as well as your referenced site, Controlled Vocabulary. Thanks

OT here - but it might interest some. In another thread (sorry, lost reference) you mentioned your interest in binomial nomenclature, as used with species. That is core to the photos I am most interested in cataloging - my plants photos. Currently I can't imagine not file naming my images to include cultivar or species name along with some other handy data. It is just too helpful across multiple applications. Down side is that it can end up making the name pretty long. It also makes renaming files as a temporary organizational tool very tricky.

Also, I look VERY forward to the ability to import CVS files!! I have a lot of plant data captured into spreadsheets, a lot of which is not directly applicable to images. I see my spreadsheets and future photo database as complimentary but not synonymous (anytime soon at least).

OT here - but it might interest some. In another thread (sorry, lost reference) you mentioned your interest in binomial nomenclature, as used with species. That is core to the photos I am most interested in cataloging - my plants photos. Currently I can't imagine not file naming my images to include cultivar or species name along with some other handy data. It is just too helpful across multiple applications. Down side is that it can end up making the name pretty long. It also makes renaming files as a temporary organizational tool very tricky.

This is where Tag Synonyms might help: you can give a regular name to your tag and then add binomial version as tag's synonym. Once we'll add support for synonyms - David Reck promised to create a new version of his CV for Daminion.

Also, I look VERY forward to the ability to import CVS files!! I have a lot of plant data captured into spreadsheets, a lot of which is not directly applicable to images. I see my spreadsheets and future photo database as complimentary but not synonymous (anytime soon at least).

You can import NEW files to Daminion from a CSV file by the 875 build ("File > Import from > CSV file")

However you can't update properties (tags) of already import items.