Viewer Role and Editing Metadata

bcrejesse

It's been a few months since I last used Daminion (was waiting for user functionality to be added and got caught up in other work) and I want to say this is showing a lot of promise. I'm about ready to purchase it at this point.

build 878

One thing that jumped out at me after poking around as a "viewer" is that the client leads users to believe they are making changes to tags and other metadata, even allowing a viewer to click save, but obviously none of this is actually being saved (thankfully!). I realize this is still very much a work in progress, but I just want to get it out there that

For users with the viewer role:

Disable the ability to add/change/remove metadata in the client (as in it's all greyed out - no control)

and/or

Pop up a window informing the user that they do not have permission to make the changes they are attempting, either when making the change or when clicking save (the save button would ideally be greyed out if they are a viewer)

This will prevent people from potentially wasting a lot of time thinking they are making changes, and clicking save, and seeing the changes in the metadata pane, without realizing that none of these changes are actually being saved. I'm sure I'll get an earful if that happens, and it is sure to happen at some point.

• 2 weeks later...