Rotation bug and some features request

Cactus

Hello.

At first I want to thank for this application. As many others I was looking for replacement for old cataloguer. Some more then year ago searches have no result suited me. A few days ago I decided to try again and found Daminion almost immediately. I'm still examine it, but in most I like it. Thank you again!

I found a bug on rotate. Sync is on. Rotate image to any direction. Write to Tags to file for sure. Daminion shows photo rotated. After restarting program it is still rotated. If you view photo by any different viewer that understand rotation in EXIF you'll see it rotated. Now rotate photo back to normal position. Write Tags to file for sure. Restart for sure that it is in normal position in Daminion. View photo in different viewer - it is still rotated. Make Read Tags from file in Daminion - it shows rotated. There some problem in writing normal rotation to file.

But big thanks for this feature. Almost all other programs rotates an image in file, but not rotation sign in EXIF.

Feature requests.

1. Selecting photo, pressing Ctrl+D to add people. People list is at bottom end of panel in most cases. If I adding many people then list ends out of screen. Better to scroll panel to show just added man and input string while adding.

2. Menu Window -> Map which shows geotagged images. Please add maximise button.

3. You have Window -> Preview option that shows small frame at bottom right corner. May be you'll add similar window with map to show position of selected?

4. If I set People to photo by start typing name and clicking item in dropdown list then Ctrl+S do not work - I must click Save button. If I start typing and chose item by up/down keyboard keys with Enter to confirm then Ctrl+S works. Please make Ctrl+S work with any (or most) focused controls.

5. At first I installed RC2 from site. Then I installed 878 build from forum and some settings was reset. For example: "Show brief info" (string above image in Thumbnails view), "Show thumbnail captions", sort order. I installed RC2 with shortcut on desktop option. Install of 878 removes old version with shortcut, but not make it again after install.

6. Situation for example. I'm using Daminion as cataloguer. Made my categories, tags, people, etc. Set them to my photos. Then I send some photos to friend which is using Daminion too and he have own kit of categories, tags, people, etc. If he add my photos to his catalog, then he gets my tags and others. I do not think that "People \ Family \ Wife" from my photo will be good for him - he have own wife. :) And other tags may be a garbage for him in his strict tag kit. I think it would be good to make selection to "import tags", "...people", "...location", etc while adding image. I read that similar realized for export but do not see it.

But big thanks for this feature. Almost all other programs rotates an image in file, but not rotation sign in EXIF.

Thanks for the comprehensive feedback. Did you check the "Add Support with Old programs" option in the Preferences > Writing Metadata? Without this option Daminion will write only into the XMP section.

Thanks for the comprehensive feedback. Did you check the "Add Support with Old programs" option in the Preferences > Writing Metadata? Without this option Daminion will write only into the XMP section.

Checked it now and problem disappeared. It is strange for me that problem was only with back to normal rotation.

Checked it now and problem disappeared. It is strange for me that problem was only with back to normal rotation.

I forgot to say that ExifTool (via ExifToolGUI) edit EXIF part and rotation sign was there. I mean Daminion edit rotation in EXIF to +90, -90, 180 and ExifToolGUI see this in EXIF part. But when I rotated to 0 (back to normal) in Daminion then EXIF does not changes.

Checkbox in settings that you point helps but it is strange for me that without checkbox rotation writings is so selective ("+90" it writes, "-90" it writes, "180" it writes, "0" it not writes).

I hope you are understand me. Sorry for my English.

One more bug. Build 878 forgets thumbnail caption settings after restart. Both top and bottom. I set my favorite and I get default after restart Daminion

And Properties panel custom settings (which properties to show/hide) resets too.

Edited by Cactus

Hello.

Can you show tags, persons, categories, etc. in dropdown lists that is not added already?

I have idea but do not sure that it is interesting for others. May be you would add favorites for tag, persons, etc to show them first in dropdown lists? I prefer work with keyboard and use mouse minimally when adding photos. Thus my family members often are not first in dropdown list while I typing their names.

post-1678-0-76710200-1379007898_thumb.jpg

I found a new bug with Place and geoposition. So I thinking to stop using Daminion to avoid conflicts with other software.

Usualy I'm using GeoSetter to geotag photos. It uses and regularly updates ExifTool.

After adding such photo in Daminion catalog and writing persons and tags I wrote changes to file. Geosetter shows me presence of direction properties in photo that I do not set (pressing Ctrl+E to see Exif properties). See picture 1.

I'm removing direction properties (Picture 2) and saving changes to photo. ExifTool via GeoSetter says this report of execution:

C:Users<...>AppDataRoamingGeoSetter	oolsexiftool.exe -@ "C:Users<...>AppDataLocalTempet05B524CC.arg" "<...>IMG_0042.JPG"

-overwrite_original
-P
-EXIF:DateTimeOriginal=2013-08-29T20:05:14Z
-EXIF:CreateDate=2013-08-29T20:05:14Z
-EXIF:ModifyDate=2013-08-29T20:05:14Z
-EXIF:TimeZoneOffset=
-XMP:DateTimeOriginal=2013-08-29T20:05:14Z+08:00
-XMP:DateTimeDigitized=2013-08-29T20:05:14Z+08:00
-XMP:ModifyDate=2013-08-29T20:05:14Z+08:00
-EXIF:GPSImgDirection=
-EXIF:GPSImgDirectionRef=
-EXIF:GPSDestLatitude=
-EXIF:GPSDestLongitude=
-EXIF:GPSDestLatitudeRef=
-EXIF:GPSDestLongitudeRef=
-XMP:GPSLatitude=55.08878693
-XMP:GPSLongitude=82.88558007
-XMP:GPSVersionID=2.2.0.0
-XMP:GPSMapDatum=WGS-84
-XMP:GPSDestLatitude=
-XMP:GPSDestLongitude=
-XMP:GPSAltitude=0.000000
-XMP:GPSAltitudeRef=Above Sea Level
-XMP:GPSDateTime=2013-08-29T20:05:14Z
-XMP:Creator=<...>
-XMP:AuthorsPosition=
-XMP:CountryCode=
-XMP:Country=Россия
-XMP:State=Новосибирская область
-IPTC:CodedCharacterSet=UTF8
-IPTC:Province-State=Новосибирская область
-XMP:City=Новосибирск
-XMP:Location=Заельцовский
-XMP:Artist=
-XMP:Description=
-XMP:Instructions=
-XMP:Title=
-XMP:Headline=
-XMP:Credit=
-XMP:Rights=
-XMP:CaptionWriter=
-XMP:Source=
-XMP:BaseUrl=
-XMP:Category=
-XMP:DateCreated=2013-08-29T20:05:14Z+07:00
-xmp:rating=
-xmp:ratingpercent=
-XMP:Label=
-XMP:CreatorAddress=
-XMP:CreatorPostalCode=
-XMP:CreatorCity=
-XMP:CreatorRegion=
-XMP:CreatorCountry=
-XMP:CreatorWorkTelephone=
-XMP:CreatorWorkEmail=
-XMP:CreatorWorkURL=

"XMP:Country" and some others - I see it in wrong coding in GeoSetter report interface. This isn't copy&paste error.

And such result:

Warning: [minor] IPTC:Province-State exceeds length limit (truncated)

Then I make "Read from file" for this photo and getting new truncated Place (picture 3). If I'll write to file then I'll get direction again.

I do not want to forcedly get direction of photo in geotag if I non't set it. And truncated Place is not good too.

Happiness was so close... :sorry2:

post-1678-0-04591900-1379431029_thumb.jpg

post-1678-0-65898800-1379431033_thumb.jpg

post-1678-0-53767000-1379431037_thumb.jpg

I found a bug on rotate. Sync is on. Rotate image to any direction. Write to Tags to file for sure. Daminion shows photo rotated. After restarting program it is still rotated. If you view photo by any different viewer that understand rotation in EXIF you'll see it rotated. Now rotate photo back to normal position. Write Tags to file for sure. Restart for sure that it is in normal position in Daminion. View photo in different viewer - it is still rotated. Make Read Tags from file in Daminion - it shows rotated. There some problem in writing normal rotation to file.

Fixed. Thanks for the info.

One more bug. Build 878 forgets thumbnail caption settings after restart. Both top and bottom. I set my favorite and I get default after restart Daminion

And Properties panel custom settings (which properties to show/hide) resets too.

Fixed.

Why 7 strings in person list of Properties panel has 5 different left positions? 1-8 pixels righter from most left. Second and fourth has same positions. Third and sixth has same too. The others has different.

Could you please right click on the first tag in the Properties panel. Then select the "Copy All" command and email me the copied tags.

Can you show tags, persons, categories, etc. in dropdown lists that is not added already?

I have idea but do not sure that it is interesting for others. May be you would add favorites for tag, persons, etc to show them first in dropdown lists? I prefer work with keyboard and use mouse minimally when adding photos. Thus my family members often are not first in dropdown list while I typing their names.

You can use Window > "Recently Assigned Tags" for this, however it also requires mouse input.

Why Category and Event are hierarchical both but have different dysplay style?

Because only one Event can be assigned per one photo.

• 2 weeks later...

Murat, I meant that:

1. Selecting photo, pressing Ctrl+D to add people. People list is at bottom end of panel in most cases. If I adding many people then list ends out of screen. Better to scroll panel to show just added man and input string while adding.

3. You have Window -> Preview option that shows small frame at bottom right corner. May be you'll add similar window with map to show position of selected?

4. If I set People to photo by start typing name and clicking item in dropdown list then Ctrl+S do not work - I must click Save button. If I start typing and chose item by up/down keyboard keys with Enter to confirm then Ctrl+S works. Please make Ctrl+S work with any (or most) focused controls.

6. Situation for example. I'm using Daminion as cataloguer. Made my categories, tags, people, etc. Set them to my photos. Then I send some photos to friend which is using Daminion too and he have own kit of categories, tags, people, etc. If he add my photos to his catalog, then he gets my tags and others. I do not think that "People \ Family \ Wife" from my photo will be good for him - he have own wife. :) And other tags may be a garbage for him in his strict tag kit. I think it would be good to make selection to "import tags", "...people", "...location", etc while adding image. I read that similar realized for export but do not see it.

And that

The problem with truncated State is because Adobe XMP Toolkit cannot read the XMP state field after the GeoSetter.

Plus I lost the XMP:Label from the XMP after updating images by GeoSetter.

Is it fixable?

Fixed.

You can check the "Zoom map to location of the selected image" for this.

Fixed

The export feature has been improved recently (see 888 build) - so now your tags can inluded into the export.

I've added your request as a feature: Marking separate tags by "Don't include into export".

Not sure whether I understood you correctly, could you please provide us a screenshot explaining your suggestion?

:search:

You can check the "Zoom map to location of the selected image" for this.

At first I do not see any effect of check/uncheck. And the second is check placed in separate window "Map". I think map preview frame will be much convenient. See picture below.

Map preview is convenient to see where photo was made. An separate window is convenient to search which photos was made at some place, on map.

The export feature has been improved recently (see 888 build) - so now your tags can inluded into the export.

I've added your request as a feature: Marking separate tags by "Don't include into export".

Not only export. Import too. When I import photo in Daminion I import both picture and all tags without choice. May be you would make import tags (categories, People, etc.) frame in import file window to make choice which new (!) tags to import? If no new tags in files then you may not show this frame to free place in window for thumbnails. Or another way to realize.

Not sure whether I understood you correctly, could you please provide us a screenshot explaining your suggestion?

Attaching picture.

The problem with truncated State is because Adobe XMP Toolkit cannot read the XMP state field after the GeoSetter.

Plus I lost the XMP:Label from the XMP after updating images by GeoSetter.

Is it fixable?

:search:

post-1678-0-05555800-1380822959_thumb.jpg

post-1678-0-81649900-1380822962_thumb.jpg

The problem with wrong GPS direction will be fixed soon.

Will fix remove wrong direction from catalog and files? Or I'll have to do it myself?

Now I think: continue adding my photos into catalog or wait for fix to have minimum photos to remove wrong direction...

This problem is not fixed yet.

Do you mean that you do not know how it will be fixed and will have to correct automatically or manually? OK.

It is great that developer comes to forum and answers. But your answers are so selective, that I do not sure whether to ask more questions. Am I too annoying?

Do you mean that you do not know how it will be fixed and will have to correct automatically or manually? OK.

Fixing this bug required some communication with our image library processing developers, and I waited for a bug-fix from their side. I hope to include the bug-fix at the end of this week.

It is great that developer comes to forum and answers. But your answers are so selective, that I do not sure whether to ask more questions. Am I too annoying?

No problem :ok: We just receiving many feedback every day and I can't spent enough time here in the forum. Hope things will be better after the Release version announcement.

Fixing this bug required some communication with our image library processing developers, and I waited for a bug-fix from their side. I hope to include the bug-fix at the end of this week.

OK. Thanks.

No problem :ok: We just receiving many feedback every day and I can't spent enough time here in the forum. Hope things will be better after the Release version announcement.

OK. But if you were to look into this topic, then you answer to some questions, not to all.