Metadata not being written to PNG, GIF?

PhilaPhan80

Hi, new to Daminion, but very excited about this project. Looks great so far. Keep up the good work!

I'm having an issue writing metadata to PNG and GIF files.

To evaluate Daminion, I created a test folder with a few files of varying types (JPEG, PNG, GIF, TIFF, PSD). When I add keywords, they're being written as XMP metadata to the JPEG, TIFF, and PSD files correctly. However, the PNG and GIF files are unchanged. I've confirmed that all files have been synced, and I've even tried to force writing to the files. I even tried rating, tagging (color), and rotating one of the PNG images to see if anything would happen -- nothing, though.

Is there something else I might be missing? Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit

Daminion 1.0.0 RC2 (Build 833)

Hello,

I would like to add an information:

GIF and PNG files do not have metadata like JPG, TIF, DNG etc. but Daminion offers to read/write XMP data (XMP sidecare file?) for these formats. Neither XMP metadata nor the XMP file were written.

Current situation: If you enter metadata for these mediaformats, these metadata are saved into the Daminion catalog -> ok. But if you call "Read Tags from File" all previous entered metadata are deleted now from the catalog.

To avoid to delete these metadata: either the XMP file will be written or the "Read Tags from File" will be set to "inactiv" to protect the data entered before.

Regards, Uwe

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Uwe. I can confirm that selecting "Read Tags from File" also removes all information within Daminion for me as well. I suppose that's to be expected since no metadata was ever written to the file (or sidecar file) in the first place.

I'm just wondering if someone on the Daminion team can confirm that this is a known issue, a newly discovered bug, or perhaps something that's simply misconfigured.

Regarding to writing metadata in PNG and GIF formats:

The issue with writing XMP metadata into PNG format was fixed. And you can write Tags into PNG format in the next Daminion build. However Adobe XMP Toolkit SDK (that we use to handle xmp metadata) provides limited support for writing XMP into the GIF format: based on their documentation only an existing XMP block inside the GIF files can be updated(didn't check it yet).

Regarding to the "Read Tags from File" command

As the name of this command said, all the tags associated with an image will be replaced by the metadata from this image. If an image doesn't contain any metadata - all your tags related to an image will be cleared. I suggest to use this command very accurately with GIF, BMP and a few other formats, that don't support XMP metadata or with partial XMP support.

Disabling this menu option will not work cause multiple image formats can be selected.