Looking for a technical writer

Murat

Daminion Software is looking for a technical writer who can write an excellent Daminion Tutorials and update our User Manual. Some designer skills are welcome.

We need:

- A few Daminion Tutorials in PDF or other convenient for reading format

- Update our User Manual that is available as Wiki (any other format is Ok with us)

- An ability to update the written manuals across minor official updates.

This vacancy was posted here because I am looking for a right person among our customers who are familiar and passionate about Daminion enough to bring us and to Daminion users a quality and useful product.

Please send me your requirements and conditions of work to support/at/daminion/dot/net.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks a lot for accepting my offer! Due to a luck of time our Daminion manual is out-dated and uncompleted. So any contribution with helping us to add new topic or edit existing one would be highly appreciated. I can provide an access to our Wiki or accept materials as PDF or MS Word formats. Please let me know.

Hi Rene and Damnation,

Thanks for expressed a desire to help us with composing manuals

I've composed a starter Daminion Manual Structure, that can be changed and improved:

https://daminion.net/wiki/index.php/Structure

Please let me know if you'll have any suggestions about this structure.

PS. Probably we'll replace our MediaWiki to a more-user friendly Online Wiki or Help Authoring system.

Ok, how do we continue?

who write will write what part and shall we do it online within the wiki itself or via word and afterwords send you the file via pdf?

I guess in the age of online services we should proceed with an online manual system. We are using MediaWiki now, but I am looking for a more user friendly replacement now.

Ok, I have no knowledge for this medium, so I cna't help you finding a solution. just let me know, when we can start writing

Hello Rene, I'm familiar with the standalone version of Daminion, not the Server. Will there be a separate help for each. Or one help file with the difference between editions highlighted in a section. Murat could point us in the right direction.

I'm more for a visual guide with quite a few screenshots. What about you?

Word document should be fine, but would be necessary to have all image content numbered in order of appearance and attached along with word doc.

Would you like to work on a section and share it so that we can take a look and discuss the presentation a bit, before going ahead with the entire help document. It would be better to have a similar style for the whole document. Once we understand that, then we can go on working on separate sections. Also, I'm not an expert on all the features. We can create and share a spreadsheet with the key help areas/sections marking what we'd like to cover.

Cheers

Hello Rene, I'm familiar with the standalone version of Daminion, not the Server. Will there be a separate help for each. Or one help file with the difference between editions highlighted in a section. Murat could point us in the right direction.

I suggest to start with the documentation for Daminion Client/Standalone version as it will cover 90% of the topics. And then we can add information related to the Server version only (like server administration, access control, auto-sync option)

Regarding the format of the documentation:

Rather than using the Word or any other desktop based tools I'd like to suggest you an online documentation service that will be hosted on Daminion web-site, that allows to collaboratively create the content of the Daminion documentation. One of the options is Wiki based systems. Example of Wiki based documenations are here and here.

This allows to already have the most up-to-date documentation and there are special plugins to Export the hole Wiki content to the PDF format that Rene asked previously.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, first I need to figure out how it works.

I mean do I just hit edit and than write or is it working like wordpress, for every topic a new post in the end combined.

Murat,

Thanks for installing the new system and creating accounts.

Could you please install a wysiwyg plugin for docuwiki.

There seems to be several:

https://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:wysiwyg_nicedit (no perl dependencies)

https://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:wysiwyg

https://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:fckg (perl dependencies)

I think it's best if Rene creates the content on the platform of his choice, Word, for example. and one of us transfers it to the website. This way content creation is not impacted by the platform.

I looked at certain Wiki Options but they are all so primitive in terms of interaction. I'm tempted to use 'slideshare'.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

1. Type in the following url in your browser:

https://daminion.net/kbase/doku.php?id=user_interface

or https://daminion.net/kbase/doku.php?id=some_topic_that_i_need_to_contribute_to_daminion

2. You will a new page with "This topic does not exist yet" message

3. Mouse move to the pencil icon and click on the "Create this page" menu option

You need to log in with your user info that I sent you early.