RAW preview issue

phcorrigan

I have two test images that I imported into Daminion after updating the preview in Lightroom 4 (Update DNG Preview & Metadata). One image displays correctly in Daminion. The other, to which I applied a black and white conversion preset, still displays in color. If I view the file in another viewer (FastStone Image Viewer) it displays correctly in black and white.

Is this a bug or is there something I'm missing? I would attach the file but it is about 25 MB in size.

Thanks.

I have two test images that I imported into Daminion after updating the preview in Lightroom 4 (Update DNG Preview & Metadata). One image displays correctly in Daminion. The other, to which I applied a black and white conversion preset, still displays in color. If I view the file in another viewer (FastStone Image Viewer) it displays correctly in black and white.

Is this a bug or is there something I'm missing? I would attach the file but it is about 25 MB in size.

Thanks.

The Adobe DNG codec for Windows 7 does show the file correctly, while DigiKam also shows this image in color, so is it possible that both Daminion and DigiKam are using the same embedded codec or file viewer and there's a problem with that?

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the DNG sample image. DCRAW is unable to extract the built-in JPEG preview from your image, and thus Daminion tries to render the original DNG file. We'll fix this issue. Thanks!

I think I found the cause. In the Lightroom 4 Preferences, under File Handling/Import DNG Creation, there is a checkbox for Embed Fast Load Data, and it is checked by default. Unchecking that box seems to have solved the problem. Unfortunately, all of my LR 4 imports have been done with that checked.

In other words, this seems to be a Lightroom issue, not a Daminion issue.

Patrick

I think I found the cause. In the Lightroom 4 Preferences, under File Handling/Import DNG Creation, there is a checkbox for Embed Fast Load Data, and it is checked by default. Unchecking that box seems to have solved the problem. Unfortunately, all of my LR 4 imports have been done with that checked.

In other words, this seems to be a Lightroom issue, not a Daminion issue.

Patrick

I re-exported the the original file from Lightroom and then imported it into Daminion and it now displays correctly, so I'm not sure what the problem was.

Thanks.

I re-exported the the original file from Lightroom and then imported it into Daminion and it now displays correctly, so I'm not sure what the problem was.

Thanks.

This may shed some light on the issue. I found this in another forum:

The command "Update DNG Preview & Metadata" will write or delete the fast load data based on what is configured in preferences -> file handling -> import DNG creation. Unchecking "Embed Fast Load Data" and then issuing the "Update DNG Preview & Metadata" seems to be the solution, at least temporarily. Adobe claims "Embed Fast Load Data" shouldn't affect the ability of other programs to display the images correctly, but this issue seems to affect other programs in addition to Daminion.

May be you imported an image using a more recent Daminion vesion where we fixed this issue.

The command "Update DNG Preview & Metadata" will write or delete the fast load data based on what is configured in preferences -> file handling -> import DNG creation. Unchecking "Embed Fast Load Data" and then issuing the "Update DNG Preview & Metadata" seems to be the solution, at least temporarily. Adobe claims "Embed Fast Load Data" shouldn't affect the ability of other programs to display the images correctly, but this issue seems to affect other programs in addition to Daminion.

I've just tried to display thumbnails for 2 test DNG images, the first one was updated in LR 4.4 using "Embed Fast Load Data" option, the second one without this option. Both images were displayed correctly in Daminion 1.0 RC2 (810).