MakerNotes

Herb

Hello,

I am working with Daminion standalone version 1.0.0 build 779.

Today I modified the Creation Datetime of a *.jpg file and stored the metadata inside the image.

Then I have seen that the MakerNotes tag in EXIF is missing.

I think this is an error.

Best rgards

Herb

Could you please make a copy of an untouched (by Daminion) JPEG file. Then change the Creation Datetime of this image copy and check whether Maker Notes is inside the file? You can do this by "Item > Show All Metadata"

And please send us the untouched original JPEG file for testing.

Hello Murat,

I took a small *.jpg file and added lots of date/time values via Exiftool version 9.28.

Then I modified in Daminion -> properties window -> field Creation DateTime - the Exif:DateTimeOriginal tag,

saved the new value and wrote the tags back into the file.

Now all MakerNotes have gone.

Attached please see the untouched file.

Best regards

Herb

post-1600-0-03614200-1368127427_thumb.jpg

The problem is reproduced with Olympus images when "Add compatibility with Windows Explorer and old programs" option is selected in the "Edit > Preferences > Writing Metadata". This bug is not reproduced with MakerNote of other cameras (tested with some major camera vendors),

Please uncheck this option until the bug will be resolved.

May I send your image to our image processing library development company?

• 3 years later...

Hello Murat, hello Daminion developers,

I have seen that the described problem (for images from Olympus cameras) is still there with latest version of Daminion 4.6.

Is there a chance to get a correction?

It would be very helpful for me.

Best regards

Herb

Hello Murat, hello Daminion developers,

I have seen that the described problem (for images from Olympus cameras) is still there with latest version of Daminion 4.6.

Is there a chance to get a correction?

It would be very helpful for me.

Best regards

Herb

hello Herb,

I couldn't reproduce the issue even with the "Add cpompatibility..." option checked. I recorded a brief screen cast, please follow this link to download and watch it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong when trying to reproduce it?

Daria

Hello Daria,

sorry for my late reply (this is because of 1st Nov. holiday in Germany) and thanks for repeating the test.

I also repeated the test with *.jpg images

- of a Canon camera: I found no problems with MakerNotes

- of Olympus cameras and I found the following.

I did the tests with "Comaptibilty with older programs" checked.

For an Olympus image from a SP510UZ camera Exiftool showed:

- for original image: 24 MakerNote tags

- for image after Daminion has added 2 tags: 20 MakerNote tags

( 3 of the missing tags belong to embedded preview image)

For an Olympus image from a E-PL6 camera Exiftool showed:

- for original image: 130 MakerNote tags

- for image after Daminion has added 2 tags: 0 MakerNote tags

So it would be very very helpful to have a correction for images of all Olympus cameras.

Maybe it helps when I send such an image to you. Please tell me where to send.

Best regards

Herb

Hello Daria,

please download the image from: Image Olympus2.jpg

The image is taken with an Olympus E-PL6 camera and it is out of camera.

Thanks for your investigations in advance

Best regards

Herb

hello Herb,

thank you for the image!

I succeeded to reproduce the issue with the image made with Olympus E-PL6 cam. If the "Add Compatibility" option is checked, all MakerNotes section gets clear, once a new tag assigned to the images. The report of the bug was send to the developer of the graphic library used in Daminion. Hope it will be fixed soon. For now, please uncheck this option - it's a kind of workaround to prevent Makernotes from being deleted.

However, I can't reproduce the issue for an Olympus image from a SP510UZ (downloaded the photo with a bird attached to your previous post). The MakerNotes info remains unchanged in the file's metadata even if the "Add Compatibility" option is checked (btw the bird image shows 23 MakerNotes tags).

Could you please record me a brief screencast video to show this issue from your side?

Best regards,

Daria

Hello Daria,

thanks for retesting the MakerNotes problem with all images.

Because of your comments I also repeated the tests and found another (for me also major) problem:

- ThumbnailImage and PreviewImage are missing after Daminion has updated the image file.

During the past tests I was so concentrated on MakerNotes that I have really overseen the problem with embedded images.

My Olympus *.jpg images contain a thumbnail image and a preview image.

Both embedded images are missing for image from SP510UZ and from E-PL6 camera after Daminion 4.6 has updated the file with option "Add Compatibility" checked.

The 3 MakerNote tags (I talked in my previous post) are missing because embedded images are missing.

I have seen no problem with embedded images in case of this option is unchecked.

I hope you can also solve this problem with Olympus images.

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Herb

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Daria, hello Daminion Developers,

In my last post I mentioned that

- the embedded thumbnail image (and also preview image) is missing

- after Daminion updated the image e.g. with some keywords

- in my Olympus *.jpg images

- with option "Add Compatibility" checked.

Now I could repeat this test with an image of a Panasonic camera DMC-TZ5 and have seen that

- Makernotes are available

- but thumbnail image is also missing.

So I have the question: are thumbnail images always missing after such an update done by Daminion?

Thanks for your comments in advance

Best regards

Herb

Hello Herb,

I recently contacted with our graphic image library processing library developers and receive a comment that your image file stores MakerNotes tag in a different way as before. In fact the makernote signature (the makernote header) now is "OLYMPUS\0", while the library supports only "OLYMP\0".

In the next minor release of their library there will be a new option that allows us to maintain (on save) unsupported makernotes.

Can you please send me a Panasonic sample image for analyzing?

Hello Murat,

thank you very much for your investigations.

I agree that the Makernote header has changed from "older" Olympus camera models to "newer" models.

I think the "newer" Makernote header will be used for all Olympus camera models that are on market nowadays.

So I ask you, this header NOT to handle as "unsupported" but as "supported " standard.

Thanks in advance.

An image - out of camera - from Panasonic DMC-TZ5 please download from link

Best regards

Herb

Hello Murat, hello Daminion Developers,

Sorry, annoying you again, but my question about embedded thumbnails (and also preview) images has not been answered.

In case of option "Add Compatibility" is unchecked and Daminion has updated the image file with metadata both Makernotes and also embedded thumbnails (and previews) are still available (as far as my test has shown).

But what is the goal in case of option "Add Compatibility" is checked?

As far as I have seen embedded thumbnails are not available anymore.

Is this really the wanted behaviour?

Thanks for your comments in advance.

Best ragards

Herb

If this option is checked on we use a third-party library that allows to map tags into IPTC block along with XMP. Both bugs related to thumbnails and maker notes are related to this library.

I was notified that the issue with maker note bug was fixed and will be included into the upcoming minor update of their library. I didn't get a reply for thumbnail issue.

Until these issues are not solved I recommend you to uncheck the "Compatibility..." option.

This will also drastically increase a speed of syncing tags with your images because updating XMP requires up to 5 times less time than updating IPTC.

Hello Murat,

thanks for your comments and investigations.

Your last sentence about update speed suggests that in case of option "Compatibility .." unchecked, Daminion will only write XMP tags, but no IPTC.

Sorry but this is not the case.

As far as I have seen, in both cases - "Compatibility" unchecked and checked - IPTC tags will be created/written.

Now I am a little bit confused with this option, because it is unclear to me what is the difference between unchecked and checked.

Best regards

Herb

• 2 months later...