DropBox Integration?

Russell

Hi Murat,

I'm back after a few month hiatus from using Daminion. Still can't get the server version working which is quite disappointing, but I'm firing up 777 desktop edition.

I seem to recall that there was going to be some kind of DropBox integration so I could share files directly from my catalog with my DropBox for download by friends/family/etc. Was I dreaming this?

Not sure if it would be useful to others, but an integrated very simple web interface that would allow family members to login and download images would be awesome. (Even better if they can upload their own to the collection and annotate/catalog files too!).

Thanks,

Russell

I'm back after a few month hiatus from using Daminion. Still can't get the server version working which is quite disappointing, but I'm firing up 777 desktop edition.

Could you please give me a remote access to your server PC or gimme more details about the issue:

- Screenshots

- Screencasts

- Server logs

I seem to recall that there was going to be some kind of DropBox integration so I could share files directly from my catalog with my DropBox for download by friends/family/etc. Was I dreaming this?

This is my dream feature also :good: But other feature request are pushed this feature.

As a workaround you can use "Export > Copy to Folder" feature to export your photo to the Dropbox folder. But I hope we'll get back to this feature very soon.

Not sure if it would be useful to others, but an integrated very simple web interface that would allow family members to login and download images would be awesome. (Even better if they can upload their own to the collection and annotate/catalog files too!).

Added your vote to this feature.

Thanks,

Russell

Hey Russell,

I think the Dropbox thing is not that important, but your idea about the webinterface is great.

Hey Russell,

I think the Dropbox thing is not that important, but your idea about the webinterface is great.

Yes.. I think someplace on here I mentioned taking the web idea even further... an HTTP web service that can be opened up to the internet to allow access to your database/catalog via a web interface. Being able to upload photos to a gallery is nice.. but since my photos are already stored someplace (locally), having the ability to remotely access that database/images/metadata via a web interface to your machine is a super fab idea... Idimager had a server feature that was kinda never developed... it worked, but only locally within your own network. Opening this up outside of your machine like a server would be ideal...

Thx Murat - I do use Teamviewer on all my machines and it is great to access my machines remotely - but I guess what I am looking for is slightly different. I'd like to be able to provide my family and clients with access to the database but without having to access my PC and Daminion directly... So, I would imagine this would work similar to what I can do with my Plex media server though more robust and image centric... present my family with my IP address + port - they access it via their browser (username/password protected) and are taken right to my catalog that is presented to them via either PHP or HTML5 scripting. They can browse the catalog, search, edit metadata (if permissions are set), download and print images as their access level provides.

Idimager had this built into v5 via their HTML service - but it didn't go far enough. Zoner Photo Studio and ACDSee Pro let you have access to online gallery space where you can manage images and share them as well - its another option but I've always felt like I already have my images stored locally - why bother uploading them to a gallery where edits made will never reflect back to my catalog?

Anyway.. hope this makes more sense and I"m happy to help in anyway I can.

Andy, thanks for sharing your thoughts about web-access to the Daminion. I understood you point of view :victory: I've added your vote for the "Lightweight Web-Interface to Daminion Server" feature.

Of course, a web-interface will be a fine addition if you can provide an outside access to your computer by IP address and port. However many customers might have problems with this or it will be impossible due to private and security reasons.

Thx Murat - allowing access via a port forward should be easy to accomplish for most folks - I would assume that anyone interested in working with a feature like this would already be technically savvy to begin with so opening a port in their router wouldn't cause much difficulty. Looking forward to hearing your further thoughts on this as time merits! - Andy.

True.. I actually don't have one either but it doesn't change unless I reboot my router a few times... for those that are worried, they can always get a Static DNS from the myriad of online sites that offer it...

I use similar technology for my Calibre server so I can access my full ebook library online from any device with an internet connection... didn't even need a port forward for this software as it automatically defines a port and works so long as the service is running... really nice option for those that want access to their data from afar...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Murat,

Not to make it more difficult/costly for your team, but if I was running Daminion Web on my computer - perhaps it'd talk to your website and tell you it's current location - and then when my friends/family would like to connect, your website directs them to me... or something like that.

Logmein, Dropbox, and several other kinds of software seem to work through most firewalls pretty consistently.

I originally suggested the idea because I have non-techie family members that would love to see images of my seven month old baby girl!

Hope that idea helps,

Russell

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Russel, thanks for the continuous interest to this feature. As you know the Dropbox integration is available via the Publish panel, and this allows you to share some favorite image collections with your family.

A light-weight web client will be our priority after releasing the 3.7 or(?) 4.0 versions. Currently we are hiring an experienced ASP.NET (Frontend) developer to start working with this feature.

• 3 weeks later...