Transfering tags across different tag-fields

Sedat

Hello,

now I finally moved from LR to Daminion. I imported 40+k files (jpeg, raws, and some videos) over night into Daminion without any problems. All Tags are there as they are supposed to be. So far so good.

In LR one is forced to put all kinds of Tags together into one keyword field. Because it´s the only field, which supports hierarchical keywords.

And one of the reasons I switched to Daminion are all of its dedicated Tag-fields like "People", "Events" and so on...

So the question is:

How is the easiest way to transfer certain Tags from the "keywords" to the "people" tag-fields for instance.

I have more than 400 hierarchical person names in "keywords"-tag and want to move them to the "Peoples" tag-field.

- Drag&drop across different tag fields doesn´t work. Otherwise this would be the perfect solution I guess.

- Moving them all one by one by creating new tags and re-assigning the elements to the new tags and delete the older ones, will just take years.

So I really don´t know what to do now.

I think this sort of question could arise to many customers who are going to switch with a large database from another DAM Software to Daminion.

So are there any plans to address this in future versions?

Regards

We plan to add an option to import/export items from/to csv. This should helps.

Different tags have different behaviour and thus drag&drop betweent different tag fields is disabled. For example Place tag is limited with 4 hierarchy levels.

Another option is too move keywords to another tags using Exiftool, via command line, and then Rescan your root folder with images.

Different tags have different behaviour and thus drag&drop betweent different tag fields is disabled. For example Place tag is limited with 4 hierarchy levels.

But there are tags with very similar behavior, for example people, categories and keywords. It can't be done with those tags?

And I think it could work with places too, if there is only a 4-level hierarchy, we could copy it simply into the places. (Or the bottom or top 4 level of it, if there are more levels.)

Or there could be a command in the tag's local menu that "Set this tag to Event", and Daminion could copy that hierarchy into the Event tag.

Of course I know that you're working on a lot of other features, so in the future sometimes maybe? :)

We plan to add an option to import/export items from/to csv. This should helps.

Sounds good.

Different tags have different behaviour...

Yes, that´s true but as Mammut wrote, beside the special tags, there are other tags which are quite similar even some Custom tags are. (As long as they created accordingly of course).

(From my very limited point of view) you could easily control that with the mouse curser as you do already.

If I drag a tag within the keywords tag, than the mouse curser changes to a little square sign, indicating that the move to the new place is allowed. If I drag the curser outside the keywords area, the curser changes into the forbidden sign.

This behavior could be extend across other tag fields.

Another option...Exiftool...

Thanks, I will consider this.

And I think it could work with places too...

Well, I think that the places tags are not a problem at all because these tags are more or less a standard and are compatible across other DAM software. All of them will read and write those tags at the right place so imho I see no need to move them later on to another place.

My request is belonging to those tags who are simply not existing in some software, like Peoples tag in Lightroom for instance. There you are forced to use another tag for that.

Or there could be a command in the tag's local menu that "Set this tag to Event", and Daminion could copy that hierarchy into the Event tag.

+1

Of course I know that you're working on a lot of other features, so in the future sometimes maybe? :)

Of course ;)

Well, I think that the places tags are not a problem at all because these tags are more or less a standard and are compatible across other DAM software. All of them will read and write those tags at the right place so imho I see no need to move them later on to another place.

The default Place in the xmp/iptc is often not enough. There are no states in every country, or there are more county levels than that simple state field, etc. Not to mention the underwater and space images where I need more diversity. So if I import some images which are tagged in another DAM, it would be good if I could just copy them into Keywords.

Okay, it's not a big deal, I can simply re-tag them now (select a town, select images, assign the Keyword tag, delete the town, etc.), "fortunately" there are not too much images with Place tags, more often there are no tags at all when I import the images. :D

The default Place in the xmp/iptc is often not enough. There are no states in every country, or there are more county levels than that simple state field, etc.

In case I don´t get you wrong. The question is, which DAM software does provide more than 4 hierarchy levels for the places tags? At least, afaik non of them. You have 4 levels and import 4 levels. If the name of the top level is country or state or whatever else, does make no difference. These are just labels.

So if you have demand for more than the 4 existing hierarchy levels for places, (and I have no doubt you have) than this is not a import problem where you have to deal with afterwards.

My point is, if you have 4 hierarchy levels of places tags of software A and import them into 4 hierarchy levels of software B, everything is fine. If the content itself doesn´t match to the image appropriately, than it is most likely a failure between the keyboard and the screen. :)

By the way, I found out that if you right-click onto a keyword tag, you can then copy it including the complete hierarchy structure to another tag like peoples, events or even custom tags. That means, that there is already a support for transferring complete hierarchy levels across different tags but only via the clipboard and only one by one of course. Anyway, this is better than nothing and speeds up the things for me a little bit.