727 - Small error translation

kalain

Thank you. Does the "Paste as Sub-Tag" should be translated as "Copier comme sous-balise"?

I didn't find where this is used in the software. ("Paste as Sub-Tag")

If you keep actual translation of "tag" as "balise", yes "Paste as Sub-Tag" should be translated as "Copier comme sous-balise".

But from my point of view "balise" is not the the best or more understandable translation.

Anyway, in this case it should be used the same translation : "Properties".

post-891-0-82368700-1360422388_thumb.jpg

Also, have a look closer at this window, this is a bit messy here.

I didn't find where this is used in the software. ("Paste as Sub-Tag")

If you have a long list of tags it's hard to make a tag from the bottom of this list as child of a tag in the top of the list by dragging it. So you can right click on a tag, select the "Cut" option and then paste it as a sub-tag of another tag ("Paste as Sub-Tag" menu option).

Anyway, in this case it should be used the same translation : "Properties".

We named the right panel as "Properties" to distinguish it from the left Tags tree.

Hi Murat and kalain.

I presume you're talking about my translation (but maybe there are other french translators ?).

Well, I think that tag = balise. It is the correct word.

EXIF IPTC, XMP (and image itself) are called blocks (blocs). Each block contains several tags (balises) and each of them can be informed using fields (champs). Of course, one may disagree and it is always interesting to have different views.

Btw, I remember a big mistake in my translation and I can no more find where... I think it is something about flash... If you notice something wrong, please tell me...

Well, I think that tag = balise. It is the correct word.

EXIF IPTC, XMP (and image itself) are called blocks (blocs). Each block contains several tags (balises) and each of them can be informed using fields (champs). Of course, one may disagree and it is always interesting to have different views.

Well, you have here two point of view : "developer's view" and "end user's view".

Yes, from technical developer view these "Properties" fields are described as "balises" in html, xml or other format file used for EXIF, IPTC, XMP. (This is how this work in technical environement)

But from end user view what do you have ?

A "Propriétés" (Properties) panel with various fields. (file name, keyword, flash, rated star, ....)

These 'technical' or 'descriptive' fields are filled by "Labels" (Tags)

Now, does this mean these 'technical' or 'descriptive' fields have to be called "balise" because it's like this developer call them ?

mmh!, I'm not sure at all.

Anyway, if yes, why the "Properties" panel is not called "Balises" panel ?

Well, introducing "Balise" as a translation is a bit confusing (from end user point of view) because you introduce a new description which is just a field from "Properties" panel.

Yes this is the same thing but as you call it differently you wonder if the same thing you are talking about or not.

Just push the discussion up to the limits. (up to absurde limits)

If in few years Adobe (or any other company) extend XMP standart at a new standard like XMPx and from technical point of view in this new standart "balise" is not anymore used but you a new concept is used and called "Repère" or "Super Balise" or "Extra Balise".

Do you think that all translations will have to change in order to use developper words ? !

Answers is no.

Why ?

Because end user doesn't care how these "Properties" fields are called in the other side. (developpement side)

He doesn't mind of the technical names used inside it's software.

For end user, this shouldn't change anything in the way to use his favorite DAM.

NB : This is my end user point of view.

Hi kalain.

Of course, I understand what you mean. Unfortunately, I am not a developer, just a user like anyone. I begun translations simply because I speak french and I prefer use softwares... in french. Think about the point of view of an other user who just like very much french language (and who disagree when french basket players call their competition "Leader's Cup" !).

So, I think that each world has its own meaning ; it is very important to use the right world for the right purpose. Otherwise, people - including photographers - would confuse terms and/or meaning.

Nevertheless, I agree with you for "Balises" and "Propriétés". Maybe the properties panel could be renamed.

For information, I started a thread about the subject in PixPopuli forum. You can read it here (in french, of course).

Nevertheless, I agree with you for "Balises" and "Propriétés". Maybe the properties panel could be renamed.

No, I don't think it's a good idea. (Sorry)

In this panel you have some technical datas and also some user's datas.

End user do not care of technical name used by software programers or as it's described in standard definition.

There is "Label" used in left panel (ok), there is "Propriétés" used in right panel (ok)

Most people will understand "Propriétés" or will imagine what "Propriétés" is refering to. On the other side, does "Balise" will sound clear in User mind. Definitely not.

Each time when I see "Balise", I wonder what's Daminion is talking about. I wonder if it's another field or information different from "Label" or "Propriétés".

If this refers at same information, why to use another word ?

Using another and a new word for same data is a bit confusing.