Thoughts on Daminion and a feature request

The Crooner

I've posted before about the rapid response to posts on this forum, and its one of the reasons why I'm going to use Daminion.

I'm a fairly IT literate home user, but my wife needs an uncomplicated way of looking at our photos. All I want to do is to securely manage, tag and search by various criteria, and then display the results.

I've evaluated:

Getting all our digital images printed and putting them in albums - expensive, time consuming, cant view them on a 42" Plasma!

Resourcespace - excellent under Ubuntu, seems a bit flaky under windows 7, and overkill for what I want.

Zenphoto - again it's really a Unix app and neither WAMP nor XAMPP seem really to host it well.

Picassa - takes over, cant get on with it.

MS whatever they call it these days - poor feature set.

PicaJet FX - nearly there but the interface shows its age and you have to pay for it! But it does have a slideshow.

Daminion server - dont see the point for my requirements, and you have to pay for it!

So its going to be Daminion - runs under Windows, stable, well supported, and meets all the requirements but one.

So a feature request - a slideshow, or make it possible to select a number of thumbnails, and show them sequentially in the large window, where currently you can display only one image.

And a suggestion - put a donate box on the download page, I would certainly contribute something voluntarily to maintain the free version.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks for your feedback and for choosing us!

When we were developing PicaJet, the slideshow was one of the most requested options, while with Daminion we received quite a small amount of requests for this feature.

Added your vote to this feature.

I would add another 'slideshow' feature like possibility to select Daminion for Windows screen saver.

(From Desktop / Properties / Screen Saver / and select Daminion)

You could also have some properties to select how to run your screensaver slide qhow.

Yes, this would be another way to display your favorite photos through Daminion as a slideshow when Windows screen saver is on.

Hi

I have been offline with Murat for a while on other Dominion topics but I concur with the slideshow feature request as I recently had a need for one. I have View NX2 but it requires Apple Quicktime which I think is overkill for just a slide show and never loaded. I also used the one included in Fastone. Its nice but generated an *.exe file which I find that google mail(Yahoo mail worked outgoing) in its infinite wisdom blocks incoming/outgoing along with *.zip- so I had to play games with the suffix.

Thanks

Hi

I have been offline with Murat for a while on other Dominion topics but I concur with the slideshow feature request as I recently had a need for one. I have View NX2 but it requires Apple Quicktime which I think is overkill for just a slide show and never loaded. I also used the one included in Fastone. Its nice but generated an *.exe file which I find that google mail(Yahoo mail worked outgoing) in its infinite wisdom blocks incoming/outgoing along with *.zip- so I had to play games with the suffix.

Thanks

There is a huge difference between to play a (simple) slide show with Daminion and to create a (sophiticated) slide show with Daminion.

From my point of view, first solution is just or like a screen saver with few options played by Daminion.

The second solution is quite a full hard job.

In order to create a full and real slide show I would use a proshow product (http://www.photodex.com/proshow) or picturetoexe. (http://www.wnsoft.com/picturestoexe/) (In which I have been deeply involved few years ago as beta tester.)

Thanks for all the replies and enthusiasm, but lets not get carried away!

The slideshow as in Picajet FX is what I hope Murat has added my vote to.

I'm not after sexy transitions, or to enhance death by Powerpoint, or to have music playing in the background.

Just something to keep my wife happy whilst she browses pictures of our grandchildren/holidays/family weddings etc.!

Tony