Server Data Location

Mardon

I installed Daminion Server today but I don't like where the data is located

I want the PostgreSQL Database to be on Drive G: not on C: By default it was installed at C:\ProgramData\PostgreSQL\Data. I'm not talking about putting the uploaded files folder on G: (I've already done that.)

On a related point, I keep all of my OS library files on G: but during the Server install a new user, "postgres", was created under C:\Users\postgres. I also want this under G:\Users\postgres. I guess the installer couldn't detect that I had moved my User files to G: when it created the new user for the SQL server.

In other words, the servers themselves can be on C: but I want all of the data for both the Daminion and SQL servers stored on G:

Can anyone point me to instructions on how to do this? I've looked through the posts here but don't see anything specific enough to help.

- Stop PostgreSQL service

- Uninstall PostgreSQL

- Rename the PostgreSQL Database location:

C:\ProgramData\PostgreSQL\Data

- Open the "Computer Management" window, locate Users tab and remove the "postgres" user

- Launch the Daminion Server Installation again

- Specify "Custom" setup type (instead of the "Standard" one)

- Specify a new location for the PostgreSQL installation

- Follow the further installation steps to finish the Daminion Server installation

Hope this helps

I was able to move the existing database to a new drive using these steps:

1 - Stop the Postgres and Daminion Server services using Administrative Tools > Services control panel (can also use the Daminion Server Administration app to stop Daminion Server).

2 - Move C:\ProgramData\PostgreSQL\Data\*.* to the destination directory (ex. P:\pgdata\)

3 - Ensure that the local user postgres has full control rights to the destination directory.

4 - Open the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)

5 - Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\postgresql-9.0

- Modify ImagePath:

From: C:/Program Files (x86)/PostgreSQL/bin/pg_ctl.exe runservice -N "postgresql-9.0" -D "C:/ProgramData/PostgreSQL/Data" -w

To: C:/Program Files (x86)/PostgreSQL/bin/pg_ctl.exe runservice -N "postgresql-9.0" -D "P:/pgdata" -w (where P:/pgdata = your new PostgreSQL directory)

- NB: Remove the (x86) if running on a 32-bit machine

6 - Restart the Postgres and Daminion Server services using Administrative Tools > Services control panel (can also use the Daminion Server Administration app to start Daminion Server).

Daminion seems to be working with the database fine, and I can still work with the database using the PG Admin tools, so everything seems to be OK.

• Upvote 1

*snip*

Specify "Custom" setup type (instead of the "Standard" one)

*snip*

Thanks Murat. I should have known that all I had to do was a "Custom Install". It worked fine.

Thanks to you also Randall. I appreciate your reply. I would have tried your steps if Murat's suggestion hadn't of worked.