Shiping price of Daminion

Sedat

Hi there,

I´m testing your Daminion software right now and I like it very much so far. But before I´m going to switch, I would like to know, how much will the final release will be cost. I found prices for the server edition bu none for the standalone version.

So before I invest much time and Work for migrating from LR to Daminion, it woul´d be good, to have an idea about the forthcoming price for the final release. Or will it be still available for free? ;)

Are there any information for public on that matter?

Thanks

Rawshooter, thanks for the good question and your decision to switch from Lightroom to Daminion. Really appreciate it! BTW why did you make this choice?

Regarding the pricing: we plan to split the Daminion Standalone release version into Free and Pro editions. The Daminion Pro version will costs $149 US.

But we'll actively reward our contributors with free Daminion licenses for participating in product improvement or promotion, for example:

- writing and publishing an article or blog post about Daminion or mentioning it on your stories

- writing a Case Study of Daminion Server usage

- translating Daminion to your native language

- writing plugins

- etc...

Thanks Murat for your quick reply.

...Free and Pro editions. The Daminion Pro version will costs $149 US.

Well, that sounds quite fair.

...why did you make this choice?

I use only the DAM part of LR (50k+ images). As for the RAW-editor I do use CaptureOne because of its far better image quality.

What I don´t like in LR: (to name only a few)

- slow speed

- bad UI

- The "closed concept" of LR e.g. not being able to simply send a RAW-file to an external Raw-editor.

- No list view in library

- very limited library filter. I can only choose between IPTC-"location", "job", "creator", "copyright" and "keywords"-fields and Adobe calls this without any hesitation a library filter!

- slow import

- The DB supports only a few image and video file types.

Overall you can say that LR is forcing you to use its build-in hard-wired workflow.

In other words, with LR you have to adjust your needs to the software but I prefer the idea that the software has to fit to my needs and it seems to me, that Daminion does it so far.

Although it´s a beta, I will definitely give it a try.

Rawshooter, thanks for the "dislike" list :good:

Users are frequently asked us to tell them about differences between Daminion and LR or Picasa. And we had published a comparison article recently. But it's important for us to know what Daminion users think about this.

I plan to write a similar comparison with Picasa either.

If anyone wanted to share their thoughts about Daminion's benefits over LR or Picasa you are welcome

Hi Murat,

the standalone version will use the same database engine as the server? I mean, the server is using PostgreSQL, and, as I see, it's faster. But of course I tried it earlier, and you're working on the optimizations, so maybe the standalone is better now, I don't know.

I have only one computer, but I'd like to buy the faster solution, even if I'll use the server only in local mode.

Thanks and Regards,

mammut

the standalone version will use the same database engine as the server? I mean, the server is using PostgreSQL, and, as I see, it's faster. But of course I tried it earlier, and you're working on the optimizations, so maybe the standalone is better now, I don't know.

Daminion Standalone version uses SQLite database engine. But you can install the Server and Standalone versions on the same computer and use PostgreSQL based (server) version to manage your local photos and documents.

And you can open and work with local and shared catalogs simultaneously within the single Daminion workspace.

If anyone wanted to share their thoughts about Daminion's benefits over LR or Picasa you are welcome

Yeah, mainly LR's limited filters, the too closed environment and the performance was the cause I searched another DAM program.

But I didn't like neither that I can't save synonyms in LR, only if I export the files. It's just stupid. (I know that there are no synonyms in Daminion now, but there will be! :D)

LR has only limited support for the IPTC Extension, you can edit it, but there are no search functions, filters, nothing.

And I can't remember exactly what was the problem (I forget fast, yeah), but the filtering was wrong with the collections on the left tab in the newer versions. :)

As I said earlier, there are so much possibilities in Daminion.

Daminion Standalone version uses SQLite database engine. But you can install the Server and Standalone versions on the same computer and use PostgreSQL based (server) version to manage your local photos and documents.

And you can open and work with local and shared catalogs simultaneously within the single Daminion workspace.

So I need to buy the server version to get the better performance. There will be a price for 1-user solution? :D The minimum is 3-user, but I don't need that many.