695 - Folder management 2

kalain

Hi,

Yep, folding management is a huge improvement in Daminion but ...

1/ it would be nice to add 'Ins' shortcut for "Add a sub folder" feature.

(When a folder is selected and got the focus.)

2/ How to delete a (sub) folder ?

It would be nice to add "Delete (sub) folder" feature, with "Del" key shortcut.

(When a folder is selected and got the focus.)

Regards

2/ How to delete a (sub) folder ?

We plan to add a Remove Folder option that will removes the selected folder from the Tags tree only. But you need to remove the physical folder manually from your disk.

This is for excluding a chance of accidentally removal a folder by Daminion.

Any thoughts?

We plan to add a Remove Folder option that will removes the selected folder from the Tags tree only. But you need to remove the physical folder manually from your disk.

This is for excluding a chance of accidentally removal a folder by Daminion.

Any thoughts?

mmmh! Why not doing same thing when you remove/delete an image ?

This should be the same for folders, it should asked if you just want to remove folder from Daminion or delete it. (send it to rubbish bin.)

Well, I think you miss something if folder tree do not behave same as a 'real' window explorer.

I can't imagine if i want to delete a folder during managing my images to do this outside Daminion!

This is not very convenient.

Regards

Hi kalain,

I guess it's because you can't see the whole folder in Daminion, only the imported files. So you don't know if you delete other important files or not.

Yeah, a full folder/file viewer would be good in the program later (and import files from there), but I'm happy that we can do the main things now. :)

Regards,

mammut

I guess it's because you can't see the whole folder in Daminion, only the imported files. So you don't know if you delete other important files or not.

Ok, I see and I understand a bit more Murat position about just removing folder from Daminion and not to delete it because Daminion wouldn't display all format files under this folder. (Could delete some important files.)

But for people like me (I'm sure I'm not the only one like this) who have dedicated folders for images/videos there is no risk to delete some others important file in it.

I glanced the tread above so sorry if this was mention.

It would be nice to have same way Lightroom does with folders. If you remove folder from the catalog it will delete physical folder from the disk only if that folder is "empty". If folder contains any file (example, thumbnails.db) it will leave physical folder on disk but remove it from the catalog only.

Hi, just a curiosity and a little opinion on this folder management thing.

Is it going to be a widows explorer or (how it looks) some custom coded explorer that is going to be limited and slow?

I am not some big professional in photography. I use these type programs to tag mostly family photos, some works references (textures, alphas, etc) and that is about it so I can find stuff one day I need it.

All photo management programs I tried I keep going back to windows explorer (or finder in mac). My wish... add Daminion tagging tools to windows explorer and finder (mac).That would be perfect.

And I did find somewhat perfect photo management tool for me few years back (at the time). It was Fotoalbum Pro. It had catalog view (like Daminion) then it had another "tab" with simple windows explorer browser view with all the tagging tools available so you can just browse through your directories, move, rename, delete, copy paste files and all that good stuff old fashion file browser was doing and add metadata info on single and multiple files. The only thing that it did not have was hierarchical keywords like Lightroom and they could not add a simple double click on image to exit the viewer. So I stopped using it and switched permanently to Lightroom for all my tagging. But Lightroom is just too slow to browse through and has limited file support.

Just the way I feel, and it is just my opinion... if you not going to have windows explorer window in there so you can browse your directories and do file management I say don't waste time. It is fine for what it is right now. It has watched folder tree you can click through to see what is in the folders. I feel most likely I will end up going back to windows explorer file management if I need to move/edit any folders or rename files...

I am aware it is work in progress :) and it is ok for what it is right now but unless this management option is correctly done as well I can not see myself buying another management software that is "almost there". BTW, Daminion is far "there" then any other management program is right now :)... but still not there yet.

Sorry, I hope this does not come across as a big complaint. I am just tired and have some terrible leg pains this evening so my mind is not all that clear.

Happy holidays.

Hi Bishop,

I like the idea to delete only the "empty" folders (if only the imported files are there), so +1.

I like the windows explorer styled programs, too. I used ACDSee, and I love that I can freely browse the contents of my hdds, and work with the files directly, but unfortunately there are very limited DAM features. And if I add 10,000 files to a catalog there, it can be a long waiting, so I don't know which method is faster. With only 10,000 files Daminion is way faster, that's sure. With 120,000 files, it's can be slower, yeah.

But I think that the limited folder/file management features are better than nothing. I hate when I have to switch tasks to move files or rename them (I have to find that folder first, etc., so it's extra time). So if I can do the main things in Daminion, I can live with that. A little closed environment because of the import part, but not too closed, like Lightroom.

(By the way, I'm using Total Commander for file management most of the time, not the explorer, I'm faster with the keyboard. So a Total Commander with tagging and better thumbnail views would be the perfect program for me. :D And no, this is not a request.)

Regards,

mammut

I glanced the tread above so sorry if this was mention.

It would be nice to have same way Lightroom does with folders. If you remove folder from the catalog it will delete physical folder from the disk only if that folder is "empty". If folder contains any file (example, thumbnails.db) it will leave physical folder on disk but remove it from the catalog only.

I'd prefer it delete the folder from the hard drive - provided the folder doesn't contain any files not in the catalog. If there's an Excel spreadsheet in there, remove the folder from the catalog and leave the folder alone. If there's nothing in the folder but images that are in the catalog (which I've obviously decided to delete along with the folder) and a thumbs.db file that now relates to images that will be deleted, please get rid of all of it. :-)

Russell