Feature request :Pause while importing

kalain

Hi,

Build 602.

I think this has already requested but couldn't find the post.

Anyway, this would be nice to have possibility to "Pause" an importation.

While trying to import 240 000 pictures, Daminion tells me it wil take 6 days at least.

Yes, I know my computer is not very new and while doing this there is not much power to do something else.

This is why, I would like to "Pause" importation while I'm working on my Pc and start again importation when I do not work on it. (Lunch time, night, etc, ...)

By now, when I pressed "Cancel", Daminion crashes and send a report bug.

Regards

post-891-0-15743200-1346139905_thumb.jpg

Alain, could you please send me that bug-report?

Report bug has been sent automatically through a dedicated report bug window.

I have nothing in my thunderbird send folder.

I'm trying again to import these files but it takes ages and ages to scan again folder before importation.

This is why a "Pause" feature would be nice. This would avoid to scan again folder to import.

Regards

Could you please send us the bug report text manually at the next time. We did receive nothing for some reasons...

I tried to import again these 240 000 images onto the same catalog. (canceled at 3800 images)

It took few hours to "scan folders" and also for "preparing to import",

I canceled again import but didn't generate a crash report!

Well, a pause import feature would be nice to have in order to make some huge and long import through Daminion.

Regards

A few weeks ago I also sent a report with that crash window. I pressed cancel, too.

kalain: I have a lot of images, too, but now I'm importing only 10000-15000 files at once at night.

While I'm importing too many files and I'm trying to work with other images in Daminion, there are a lot of crashes and .net errors, but as I remember I didn't saw that "send a report window" since a while.

Regards,

mammut

A few weeks ago I also sent a report with that crash window. I pressed cancel, too.

kalain: I have a lot of images, too, but now I'm importing only 10000-15000 files at once at night.

While I'm importing too many files and I'm trying to work with other images in Daminion, there are a lot of crashes and .net errors, but as I remember I didn't saw that "send a report window" since a while.

That means for my 240 000 files, it would take 24 to 16 days (or nights) !!!

No, seriously, it has to be done in one shot with possibility to pause this huge import task.

While doing this, Daminion uses "only" 50% CPU Power.

This is a good thing because you still can do (slowly) some others tasks on computer.

Better thing would be that Daminion uses more CPU power (85%/90%) when there is no other activity (no other CPU requirement) and reduce this percentage at 50% if there is some others CPU requirements.

I don't know if with more CPU power this will reduce import time.

Anyway, availabilty of "Pause" feature during import task would solve these troubles.

Edit : I will try tonight an import. Just to see what will happen in the morning.

Regards

Try the Rescan Folder function what Uwe suggested to me last week.

Import the main parent directory, and if you cancel the process, later just use the rescan folder function on the parent directory. That way you don't have to wait for the import window.

By the way, I'm importing my images since a few weeks now. Of course I'm creating more Catalogs, I think Daminion is a little slower when there are too many images in the Catalog.

Regards,

mammut

Try the Rescan Folder function what Uwe suggested to me last week.

Import the main parent directory, and if you cancel the process, later just use the rescan folder function on the parent directory. That way you don't have to wait for the import window.

Yes, that's better (faster) than to re-import parent directory.

But still some questions here :

- what will happen if a rescan folder is not done in one time ?

I mean, if rescan is quite long and is cancelled, will I be able one day to finish a rescan ?

Is a rescan has a "memory" of previous work done or does it start each time at first image ?

Well, not sure one day my 240 000 images will be imported by Daminion.

By the way, I'm importing my images since a few weeks now. Of course I'm creating more Catalogs, I think Daminion is a little slower when there are too many images in the Catalog.

That's may be a (better) solution.

Like this when a catalog is complete you know this part of job is finished (no more remaining import or rescan.)

and can achieve the whole job step by step. (Catalog another catalog)

For Daminion Team, here is some tips in order to improve Daminion.

1/ It would be nice when you cancel "Import", to mention in cancel window that you can use "Rescan" function in order to finish "Import" task.

Some thing like this :

post-891-0-10834500-1346216928_thumb.jpg

2/By now, when a rescan is running, you don't know how long it will take to achieve the job.

post-891-0-26091800-1346217043_thumb.jpg

It would be nice to add some informations while "Rescan folder" is running, a bit like in "import".

Something like this :

post-891-0-95954000-1346217321_thumb.jpg

Regards

- what will happen if a rescan folder is not done in one time ?

I mean, if rescan is quite long and is cancelled, will I be able one day to finish a rescan?

Is a rescan has a "memory" of previous work done or does it start each time at first image?

Nope. Because new files might appear in the imported folders even if Daminion will remember the last exit point. The rescan process will pass all the images that already have been imported into the database and didn't change since the past import (or rescan). So the second rescan will be faster.

1/ It would be nice when you cancel "Import", to mention in cancel window that you can use "Rescan" function in order to finish "Import" task.

Nice tip. I've changed the warning message. Thank you.

2/By now, when a rescan is running, you don't know how long it will take to achieve the job.

It would be nice to add some information while "Rescan folder" is running, a bit like in "import".

It can't be implemented now because in Rescan we don't calculate the number of files before importing. Instead we scan recursively each folder one by one inside the selected folder. This is faster but doesn't provide a detailed info about how long the process might be. If this info is important then Import can be use instead of Rescan.

It can't be implemented now because in Rescan we don't calculate the number of files before importing. Instead we scan recursively each folder one by one inside the selected folder. This is faster but doesn't provide a detailed info about how long the process might be.

May be someting like below would give an idea of the remaining task ?

post-891-0-73632100-1346259492_thumb.jpg

This is better than nothing or even just "6889".

If this info is important then Import can be use instead of Rescan.

This is much more longer because you start from begining.

Anyway, a "Pause" possibility during import stage would be the best.

May be someting like below would give an idea of the remaining task ?

Rescanning folder 2.jpg

This is better than nothing or even just "6889".

The main problem is - we don't know the number of files (240602 on the above screenshot). Because we need to scan all the sub-folders and files to calculate this.

Without total number of files we can't show any progress.

And even if your current number of files on the selected folder will be 240602 (and stored in the database) - this number will be differ because you might to change your folder/files structure outside of the Daminion and add extra 100k files.

Anyway, a "Pause" possibility during import stage would be the best.

To be honest, a capability to pause the importing progress was implemented on the early Daminion versions, but we simplified the UI and got rid of this feature. Because on a small amount of files it doesn't necessary. We'll think about incorporating this in some way (like clicking on the Cancel button with holding the Ctrl key or like this).

Could you please send us the bug report text manually at the next time. We did receive nothing for some reasons...

An other error occured this night will trying to import my 240 000 pictures. :-(

Build 602.

Daminion catalog is 39Mo, importation stoped (crashed) at 31170 images.

An email has been send.