Subfolders (546)

Jibz

Just installed the 546 build, nice work!

I wonder about the new way selecting a folder in the Catalog Tags pane works now.

As I understand it, previously selecting a folder would show you the contents of all subfolders as well. Now it shows you the contents of that folder only, and you have to use the right-click menu to get the contents of the subfolders too.

Now, I am sure that what operation people need the most will depend on how they organize their collection. For me personally, I have folders for each year, with subfolders for dates and events. So when I click a folder, I usually want all the subfolders -- like all photos from 2005 that match a certain criteria.

What I am thinking is if selecting with subfolders is so common that having to use the right-click menu to achieve it is not ideal?

Speaking of this, I had a few issues with selecting and deselecting:

There is no indication of subfolders being included on the search bar above the thumbnails (perhaps a (*) or something?).

The default operator when using ctrl to add folders to the search is "OR" (which is fine). If I use ctrl-alt to exclude a folder, shouldn't the operator default to "AND" instead?

If you have a search which includes a folder with subfolders (the green plus icon on the Catalog Tags pane), and you use the search bar above the thumbnails to edit the search (remove an item, change an operator, etc), then the folder with subfolders reverts to a regular folder selection.

I like that the tags that apply to the currently selected item are marked in the Catalog Tags pane, however I wonder if using red is perhaps not that good. When I see the red tags I usually think they must be disabled or excluded.

And on a totally unrelated note, the tooltip on the Close button in Full Screen View appears to be wrong.

As I understand it, previously selecting a folder would show you the contents of all subfolders as well. Now it shows you the contents of that folder only, and you have to use the right-click menu to get the contents of the subfolders too.

Now, I am sure that what operation people need the most will depend on how they organize their collection. For me personally, I have folders for each year, with subfolders for dates and events. So when I click a folder, I usually want all the subfolders -- like all photos from 2005 that match a certain criteria.

What I am thinking is if selecting with subfolders is so common that having to use the right-click menu to achieve it is not ideal?

Thanks for the good feedback! We plan to switch this behavior to the next build. After adding the capability to display files that belong to a tag with tag sub-values (for Keywords, Categories and People).

Speaking of this, I had a few issues with selecting and deselecting:

There is no indication of subfolders being included on the search bar above the thumbnails (perhaps a (*) or something?).

We'll think about this. In addition to the asterix you suggested above we can add a hint to Search Bar to explain what tags marked with asterix means, like:

a1.gif

But this will reduce the space taken by thumbnails a bit. Any ideas are welcome!

The default operator when using ctrl to add folders to the search is "OR" (which is fine). If I use ctrl-alt to exclude a folder, shouldn't the operator default to "AND" instead?

Unfortunately the AND/OR conditions are belong to All the query members within a certain Tag. So we can't tie AND/OR appearance in accordance of how a new condition will be added, with Red or Green mark. Because this might change all the AND/OR conditions in our query.

If you have a search which includes a folder with subfolders (the green plus icon on the Catalog Tags pane), and you use the search bar above the thumbnails to edit the search (remove an item, change an operator, etc), then the folder with subfolders reverts to a regular folder selection.

Added to the bug-report list. Thank you.

I like that the tags that apply to the currently selected item are marked in the Catalog Tags pane, however I wonder if using red is perhaps not that good. When I see the red tags I usually think they must be disabled or excluded.

We'll experiment with blue and green colors.

And on a totally unrelated note, the tooltip on the Close button in Full Screen View appears to be wrong.

Fixed. Thanks!

We'll think about this. In addition to the asterix you suggested above we can add a hint to Search Bar to explain what tags marked with asterix means, like:

But this will reduce the space taken by thumbnails a bit. Any ideas are welcome!

I agree, that is a lot of vertical screen space to waste. Maybe a small tooltip for the elements with a * next to them?

Unfortunately the AND/OR conditions are belong to All the query members within a certain Tag. So we can't tie AND/OR appearance in accordance of how a new condition will be added, with Red or Green mark. Because this might change all the AND/OR conditions in our query.

Ah! that is rather surprising. Is there any technical limitation in the database that means you cannot mix conditions?

Btw, if you select multiple folders by ctrl-clicking them with the OR operator active, and then go over to one of the OR in the bar above the thumbnails and click it to change it to AND, and click it again and change it back to OR, it does not update the search but stays empty (like AND).

And a minor GUI glitch -- not sure if this is something in your software or in the underlying framework, but if you open a menu, move the mouse down it until a submenu pops up, move the mouse right until you are below the next menu, and then straight up onto that next menus title, it does not (always) open. See the attached video for an example.

Daminion menu glitch.wmv

I also attached a recording of the GUI glitch in the properties I have mentioned a couple of times before. If you have images with a different number of image properties, and you view them full screen, switch between them, and then close full screen view, then part of the controls in the Description section of the Properties pane do not move up/down with the rest, resulting in a garbled view until you click another image to update it.

Daminion properties glitch.wmv

• 1 month later...

Fixed.