Tag panel :keyboard shortcut

kalain

Hi,

I know that Daminion team is not aware of ergonomic keyboard shortcut (most of people use a mouse), but anyway, let's try.

In folder tree you can browse it with up/down arrow key from keyboard (good)

Now, what would be awsome (from keyboard user point of view)  is to validate (green dot) selected folder (2019 02 10 Ski Chamrousse) with 'Enter' key.

1504561096_screencopy14-04-2019-08_06_28.jpg.ce8ca03cdd1933411d4878edc7f4a5bd.jpgIf

If you want to extend this ergonomic consideration, a double clic on folder name would apply green dot on this folder.
This is a bit less restrictive than to hint small area (circle at the end of folder name) with cursor.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 8:24 AM, kalain said:

This is a bit less restrictive than to hint small area (circle at the end of folder name) with cursor.

Alain, I agree there should be more (and more consistent!) keyboard based short cuts. However, as long as we don't get those, I have one suggestion: Use the right mouse click along with the short cuts indicated on the context menu.

For the above example, after selecting the line, instead instead of clicking the little circle, you just press the right button of the mouse while the pointer can be anywhere in the blue area. The right button brings up the context menu as shown below. Now here is the trick: Instead of clicking a line of that menu, you also use a short cut by simply pressing the key indictaed by underlining. In this example, pressing the S-key would be the same as clicking Show files with '18' or clicking the little circle in the folder list. If there is no underlined character in the menu, try the first letter of the description.

Be aware though, that this is language dependent. I.e. if you use a French user interface the short cut is no longer S but M (and you need to press Enter in addition, as I just found out).

image.png.a40c7d66f63bb841fff1bc6155e92d8b.png

The same context menu after selecting a French UI:

image.png.86f759338e345a1342c9edd1a97aaeae.png

Wilfried,

I didn't remember about underlined letter as shortcut. Thanks for this remind.
This could be good but I updated to latest build (6.2.0 1933 beta) and seems these underlined letters as shortcut has gone !!

578193378_screencopy20-04-2019-10_02_19.jpg.1b2d01f534512be5e0061c62e03a681c.jpg

I tried 'S' but nothing hapenned.

I will revert back to previous build, just to check.

2 minutes ago, kalain said:

... updated to latest build (6.2.0 1933 beta) and seems these underlined letters as shortcut has gone !!

Strange, it does work for me in 6.2.0 1933! After changing to french to make a screen shot for my post, I noticed the M in Montrer les fichiers was not underlined, but pressing M and pressing Enter did the job. I assume, in your case it is not caused by the new build, something in Windows. Possibly better to boot, before trying anything else.

The only thing I noticed when I updated to 1933 (and also for the previous updates), it automatically uses the default language of my PC and I had to manually change to English, exactly for that reason because I memorized many of those short cuts of the English user interface.

Ok, I re installed 1904 and 1872 build but still no under lined letter as shortcut.

I'm not surprised these features has gone, specially when you see all the languages :

1149497258_screencopy20-04-2019-10_23_57.jpg.fda4a8eb4b934b07b12037247cadd8d5.jpg

This should be a nightmare to attribute a shortcut in all letter word language.

Probably better to attibute a real short cut independently of language : Same short cut for any language : Ex 'Shift S' or 'S' for any language,

Anyway, would be nice when a folder is selected to apply a green dot when 'Enter' is pressed (same as 'Click')
and 'Hide files' would be applied when 'Alt + Enter' is pressed on selected folder.

27 minutes ago, WilfriedB said:

Strange, it does work for me in 6.2.0 1933! After changing to french to make a screen shot for my post, I noticed the M in Montrer les fichiers was not underlined, but pressing M and pressing Enter did the job. I assume, in your case it is not caused by the new build, something in Windows. Possibly better to boot, before trying anything else.

I reinstalled build 1933 and restart computer but still the same. I tried all keyboard letters to check if one was assigned or not. But still the same : No short cut !!!

Probably a Win 8.1 singularity....

3 hours ago, kalain said:

Probably a Win 8.1 singularity....

Possible. I am on Windows 10 1809, never used Windows 8.x and don't remember, how this was under Windows 7 ... but according to your post, it also did work for you in the past ...? If that is true, either Daminion 6 (in combination with Windows 8.1) or a Windows update introduced this bug. You should see those short cuts also in context menus of other programs.

Anyway, you should be able to selected the menu item either by clicking or using up/down keys and pressing Enter. Might still be faster than hitting the little circle.

1 hour ago, WilfriedB said:

Anyway, you should be able to selected the menu item either by clicking or using up/down keys and pressing Enter. Might still be faster than hitting the little circle.

Yes, this would be excellent for browsing folders and display their contents through keyboard.

Alain,

this would be partially consistent (Alt-Enter), but mostly contradictorily (for all other options) with the possibilities of filter tags:

image.png.bc4128465746cbed79c5593539f2ac90.png

Since I migrated from standalone to server, I use the filter tags much more frequently than navigating the tag trees. Only regretting that Place and Creation Datetime are not supported by filter tags, but folders are.

9 hours ago, WilfriedB said:

this would be partially consistent (Alt-Enter), but mostly contradictorily (for all other options) with the possibilities of filter tags:

Well, to have one short cut (key combinaison) for 2 distinct actions in a software doesn't hurt me.

Depending of the context, one short cut will behave differently.

This is already the case here :

709949180_screencopy21-04-2019-08_46_11.jpg.c364c13799c7fab1bebf5f614a5f33c5.jpg

So, why not to have same short cut and get another action in a different context.