"Place" tag's Location metadata field is not being read

wabrou

When importing an image (DNG file in this test case), the Place tag is populated with Country, State, and City as expected. However, the remaining Location field is blank. XnView confirms that all four of these fields exist in the file's XMP data. The file's IPTC data, however, only lists Country, State, and City. Is Daminion not reading the XMP data to capture the Location field from the file?

image.png.ef6732a5f989668b3a1888c32446bca1.png

Thanks,
...Bill

Hello,

it seems the reason is the priority reading metadata described in the Daminion mapping rules.

IPTC:Country,
IPTC:State,
IPTC:City,
IPTC:SubLocation,

XMP:Photoshop:Country,
XMP:Photoshop:State,
XMP:Photoshop:City,
XMP:Iptc4xmpCore:Location

First place are the IPTC metadata (in your case Country, State, City) the second place are the XMP metadata. In your case the IPTC:SubLocation is empty and Daminion doesn't continue reading the XMP section.

Question to Daminion: is that true or is it a bug?

Regards, Uwe

3 hours ago, Uwe said:

First place are the IPTC metadata (in your case Country, State, City) the second place are the XMP metadata. In your case the IPTC:SubLocation is empty and Daminion doesn't continue reading the XMP section.

Many thanks for your comments, Uwe. Pretty much as I figured. 

With more testing, I have discovered that Daminion reads and writes the Event and Location metadata tags for its Place tag. My data was being stored in the Locations Taken metadata tags with only partial data (all but the Location field) in the Event and Location metadata. If I force writing to Event and Location instead of Locations Taken in other software, all is well.

When not dealing with an Event, it seemed inappropriate for data to be recorded in Event and Location area. Locations Taken should always be appropriate with Event data present when appropriate. Daminion apparently isn't seeing it that way making me think my understanding must be incorrect.

Thanks again...