File to import by drag and drop

kalain

Hi,

In example below, it would be nice if when you drag and drop images from a folder (memory card or whatever) toward a Daminion's catalog folder to open 'choose file to import' window.

NB : Destination folder (in import window) is pre loaded by folder where you dropped images.

post-891-0-20409000-1548062609_thumb.jpg

In example below, it would be nice if when you drag and drop images from a folder (memory card or whatever) toward a Daminion's catalog folder to open 'choose file to import' window.

Not sure, I understood correctly what you are asking for Alain, but dragging one or more images or even a folder from Windows Explorer into the Thumbnail area of Daminion does work. I use that function almost daily.

However, depending on the workload of your computer, it might take a couple of seconds until the Choose files to import dialog pops up. Sometimes I also had the situation, that the dialog did not appear in the foreground. Trying again a second resulted more than one of those dialog windows "hanging" in the background waiting for input. Using Alt-Tab helps clarifying that.

but dragging one or more images or even a folder from Windows Explorer into the Thumbnail area of Daminion does work. I use that function almost daily.

Ah, Ok!! Drag and drop works if you drop into Thumbnail area.

I tried to drop them into folder tree, directly into final folder destination!! :dash2:

May be a point to improve here. (Drag and drop into a folder in folder tree)

When import windows opens (after drag and drop into Thumbnail area) I expected that 'Destination folder' will be filled by opened thumbnail area's path.

It's much more easier to select destination folder in folder tree (and display respective thumbnails and preload this path in Import windows) than through 'Browse' from 'Destination folder' in Import window.

It's much more easier to select destination folder in folder tree (and display respective thumbnails and preload this path in Import windows) than through 'Browse' from 'Destination folder' in Import window.

Understand your point.

That depends on what "import" means to you. When I import, the images are already in the folder where they will stay forever. I.e. I copy them from the camera to disk before importing into Daminion (using a different tool which creates the proper folder structure, naming convention, bulk metadata and GEO-tagging ...) and in Daminion, I use the option "Add files to the catalog without copying them". If you plan to copy them to a shared folder, dragging to the folder certainly would make sense.

If you plan to copy them to a shared folder, dragging to the folder certainly would make sense.

Yes, when you drag and drop them from a memory card and want to copy them to a specific folder, it makes sense to preload Destination folder from Import window at displayed Thumbnail area's path.

This will save quite a lots of clics.

Thanks for sharing your workflow. Always interesting to see how others people uses Daminion. A good oportunity to learn something.