Making your own thumbnails

Matcho

When I load some movies in Daminion, it makes its own thumbnails from the movies automatically. But I like to make my own thumbnails. I already tried to replace the *.dat file with my own jpg file and renamed it to *.dat. But this does not work. I also made it the same size as the original dat file and also this does not work. Is there another way to make your own thumbnails for movies?

And also it would be a good idea to put all thumbnails together in one folder. Now every thumbnail is stored in a different folder, so the database is full of folders with only one thumbnail stored in it and the correct one is hard to find.. Or is this not possible?

1. The files with .dat extension are thumbnails stored in a custom format. So you can't edit it by common tools. I suggest you to wait till we'll implemented our custom video thumbnail selector tool. It will be much more convenient and fast to do this within Daminion interface rather than editing the external files.

2. We chose that scheme after making the performance tests. And this scheme allows you to have an access to thumbnails with maximal speed.

You see the one thumbnail in each folder because of the small catalog size. With increasing the catalog size the new thumbnails will be placed on the existing folder.

BTW the maximum number of folders is 4096.

Hi there.. I would say for #2 - please be sure these custom folders will be removed should a user uninstall Daminion from a machine.. I've run into issues in the past with custom sidecar files that remain on the system long after that product has been uninstalled. Looking good so far!

• 5 years later...